Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ladies Spring Luncheon

A year or so ago, my sister Lavonna came up with a plan that we should have a ladies luncheon.  One of her friends used to have one but has since passed away so Lavonna decided we should continue the tradition.  Our last one was held in the Fall and was a soup luncheon.  This past Fall we never could get it together so we ended up having it last week. Since it was Spring we decided to do a salad luncheon.  It's really funny because once the invitations go out, everyone starts calling and texting asking, "What can I bring? "  or "What's it for?" or even "What are you selling?"  It's hard for them to accept that it's a no-strings-attached luncheon just for fun.


We had our luncheon last Friday and it was a great success. The weather was relatively nice and all the salads were delicious.  It was great to see old friends, to make new friends and enjoy some good old fashioned hen talk.


Here are some photos and following will be a link for a printable version of all the recipes.

Here's the spread of salads before we started serving.  We had Waldorf Chicken Salad, Italian Pasta Salad,
Rice and English Pea Salad, Spinach Cranberry Salad, Avocado Cole Slaw, and Mediterranean Salad. Lavonna also fixed a nice array of fresh fruit and we had four kinds of artisan bread to choose from. I have the cutest little pewter chair place card holders and some pewter cherry place card holders we used to label every thing.



A different view of the center island with all the food.  We even used our pink glass plates and real forks.  We didn't have to, but it sure makes it nice. We also used real glass ware. And fresh Gerber daisies for decorations.

Here's me and Lavonna, I'm not sure what kind of shoes we each had on but she sure looks extra tall and I look extra short. Our friend Renee took the picture for us.


A couple of weeks ago we got together and made our party favors.  We put washi tape around tea light candles and then wrapped them in tulle. The little card had a "Thanks for coming." message on the front and then a scripture about friends on the back. Thankfully Lavonna had a stamp for the scripture. I hand wrote out the front. I think they were darling.  I don't know if anyone will every burn them because I rarely burn candles, but it was a nice touch for a thank you.


Friends started arriving and filling their plates.  The bad thing about he pink plates, they are really more for showers and things, so they are kind of small. I said we had to eat like ladies and not like heifers.


I also made dipped strawberries for dessert.  That was one of the last things I did Thursday evening. It was about 11:30 and I was thinking, "Am I really going to make those strawberries?"  They really are easy and looked so pretty. As you can clearly see, I decided to go ahead and make them. 


We couldn't really decide what we wanted to do for dessert, but we wanted it to be simple.  A few years ago at our Amarillo Christian Womens' luncheon we had a speaker from the Texas AgriLife Extension Agency. She made little dessert shooters so I mentioned to Lavonna I thought they would be easy. Then when I found the little glasses at the Dollar Tree (three for a dollar) it was final.  Last Monday I got the stuff together to go over to Lavonna's and try them out.  They were a hit. Even Lavonna's teen daughter Mallory and husband Brice said they were really good. So it was decided.  The ones pictured below are the chocolate fudge.  I just crumbled some brownies in the bottom, then a spoonful of chocolate fudge, topped with extra creamy whipped cream and topped off with a fresh raspberry. Yum!


Here's the rest of the dessert spread.  We also had strawberry shortcake shooters and blueberry streusel shooters. I made them the same as the chocolate, except with shortcake and blueberry muffins. Frozen fruit in the middle and topped off the same but with strawberry slices and a few fresh blueberries. We planned on everyone just having one shooter and one strawberry, but most people had several. Guess that means they were good. Ya' think?


More friends coming to enjoy. All totaled we probably had thirty guests come for the luncheon. Even Mallory and her friend Emily came on their lunch hour from school.



Even though it was a lot of work, it was so much fun.  Seeing old friends, making new ones, laughing, visiting and eating. A perfect combination for a perfect day.

 Here are all the links for a printable recipe.



blue leelee
Remember if you want to leave a comment and don't want to fill out the form, just write your comment in the comment section and sign your name at the end of your message. And choose anonymous from the drop down menu. Thanks for stopping by.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything was delicious. Thanks for the recipes. Sandy T.

Anonymous said...

Looked like it was a great success! Everything was so beautiful, and looked so delicious! I am so proud of you! Love, mom

ShirleyinAmarillo said...

OMG you two did amazing, I loved every one of them...you two are fabulous...

ShirleyinAmarillo said...

You two did amazing, every one of the salads were awesome. You two are fabulous...

Post a Comment