Monday, June 13, 2011

Austin Part 1

As I said in my last post, I was out of town last week. I took my niece Janine and her two children to Austin for a few days. The original purpose of our trip was for Janine to go to the doctor. I did a post a while back about all the neurological testing. She had made remarkable improvements, but then the doctor wanted her to go off the anti-viral medicine to see what would happen and she relapsed. He put her back on all her meds so hopefully she will be improving quickly. We thought it would be fun to let the kids go with us this time since they would be out of school for the summer. We all had a ball. We didn't do a ton of activities as Janine didn't feel real well and it was extremely hot, as all of Texas is in a major drought. Austin is the Capital of Texas so there are lots of things to do and see. I'm only going to blog about the botanical and butterfly garden today as it is late and I want to get to bed.

I had found the information about Zilker Park on the Internet before we left Amarillo. It is an awesome park and you could spend a couple of days exploring it. The good news is almost everything is free! I know. Amazing!

We got a late start and by the time we found it, we didn't have a lot of time and the heat index was rising rapidly. We loved walking around the botanical gardens and the kids like just being outside. Then we made it over to the butterfly garden. There were lots of critters of all kinds. Tzippi was infatuated with them all. They tried to catch a lizard, but thankfully he escaped.

Tzippi and Janine were the first to see this critter. Can you tell what it is?


How about now? I've never really seen a humming bird up that close. He was paying us no mind at all. Just sippin' away on that delicious nectar.


They had several of these butterfly benches scattered around. I would love to have one of those too. I loved the way this photo turned out. I looks like the antenna are coming right out of Tzippi's head.


Janine and Azariah sharing a mom/son moment.


It was a great place to go and I highly recommend it, just go when it's not scorching hot and make sure you have several hours to spend. 

1 comment:

Linnie Sanderson said...

It looks like a beautiful place. I', glad you got to see it.

Post a Comment