Monday, June 13, 2011

Went To The Dentist Today

(This is not my smile, but I wish it was. These teeth are too pretty, straight and white.)

Today was my six month check-up. I actually was kind of dreading it. One of the first things they do when you get in the chair is check your blood pressure. Mine is usually up . . . . . can't imagine why! If you follow my blog you know at least the last three times there have been problems. First I had to have a cavity filled. You can read about that here if you want.  Then on my next appointment I had to have a crown put on. Oh goody! You can read about that here. Then the next dental saga that lasted over a year and a half was when I had to get a root canal. I've always heard "don't do it." now I know why. You can read about that here and here and here.  So you can see why I am now a little apprehensive when it's time to go to the dentist. I've always had an aversion to dentists. I remember the old dentist mom used to take us too. He was so rough and I swear he would use that sharp instrument to "make" a cavity. I was always the lucky and I'm using that word very loosely here, that had to get a cavity filled. Sometimes if it was just a "little" one there was no need for Novocaine! When I turned sixteen I declared I would NOT be going to the dentist for a while. I didn't go until I was in college and started having problems. I did find a dentist that wasn't so rough and did at least use anesthesia. I went to him for a while until I moved to Spearman. Maybe I drove to Littlefield once a year for a check up, but don't remember. Then Kevin and I got married and I started going to his dentist. He was an older man and I rarely saw him, just his technician. They were matter of fact, to the point and the price was about $35  for a cleaning. We knew the day was coming that he would be retiring. Sure enough we got the letter and that is when we started going to Dr. W. He is older, but not too old and he has the latest gadget in the field of dentistry. Everything is digital. Needless to say it is NOT $35 anymore.

So back to today. I was a little nervous. When Chris (the hygienist) took my blood pressure it was  . . . drumroll please /// / / / 116/70. I was cold and figured that was why. They have heated blankets for patient comfort so I asked for one. It was nice and cozy. She started in on the cleaning process. It always amazes me how they want to "chat" with you when your mouth is a little occupied! She's really nice though and the time went by pretty quickly. Then she called in Dr. W. In he came with his sharp instrument poking around. He asked "How's that root canal doing?" As he was poking, pulling and scraping with that tool. Like I would tell him if it was bothering me. It's not thankfully, but I don't think I'd tell him unless it was really killing me. He finally gave me the thumbs up and said "See you in six months. Everything looks great!" I skipped right out of there after I left my $188 on the counter! At least no more dental work and we have insurance so all is good. At least I have my own teeth, right?


blue leelee


2 comments:

lavonnastater said...

I always had cavities. but De, who always ate candy & never brushed her teeth, never had cavities.

I remember the old dentist always asking me if I was married, to which I would dryly reply, "I'm only 6 or 7 or 8 or whatever age I was. Then he would laugh. I never thought it was funny.

Linnie Sanderson said...

I always thought he made up some of those cavities too. It was always after Christmas. MMMMmmmm... I have only had three cavities in my 75 years, and still have all my teeth except those pesky wisdom teeth. My dentist now thinks I have good teeth. I hope they last another 75! HaHa

Post a Comment