Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What Was The Right Thing To Do?


*This is not the homeless people we saw, but just a photo I got off the Internet.*

Tonight Kevin and I went to dinner at Furr's Cafeteria. When we pulled into the parking lot we noticed three police cars parked in front of the restaurant door. I told Kevin "Maybe they were robbed. Think we should go in?"  We did get out and start walking towards the door. There were three policemen and another man standing in front of the police cars.They were talking and pointing towards the restaurant. Then we noticed a pathetic looking dog tied to the handicap parking sign in front of the restaurant and I thought maybe someone had abandoned the dog and that's what the ruckus was all about. With my super sensitive hearing I could hear the men talking about people. I heard the policeman say, "We will just no-trespass them and tell them they have to leave the premises." The three officers and the other man (we found out he was the manager) were walking into the diner the same time we were. They went in one door and we went in the other. Kevin looked over the partition to see what was going on. He said the police went up to a table of three people and were escorting them out. They took them over to the front of the police car and were questioning them. The dog that was tied to the sign belonged to the homeless group and he was NOT happy that they were over there and could not be with them. He was barking and whining. We were standing by the front windows and the manager came walking over. Kevin asked him what was going on. He said, " They are homeless and have been harassing customers as they are coming to enter the restaurant. They are asking for money and giving everyone the story about what is wrong and why they need help. They then entered the restaurant and went through the food line. Once they had their food they told the cashier they didn't have any money to pay for their food. Another patron paid for their meals." So here is what was bothering me, if someone paid for the homeless people's food why did he call the police? Why didn't the manager let them finish eating and then tell them to move along or he was going to call the police. I mean, their food had been paid for! If I had been the patron that paid for their food, I would have been really upset that they were escorted out and detained by the police. I have stressed and obsessed all night over this. What do you think was the right thing to happen?

blue leelee

2 comments:

Janine Deckard said...

I don't think there is anything that could have been done. If I'd paid for the meal, I certainly would have made a stink about the police. But perhaps the manager called before someone offered to pay for their food. If I'd paid for their food, I would have sat with them, especially if I could tell that there was chaos. But as far as your timing and stuff, I doubt you could have done anything different. The manager was within his rights to call the cops, but to be decent humans, they should have packaged up the food and given it to the homeless people and told the police that the situation handled itself.

Tina said...

This makes me sad. All I know for sure is God knows all about this. If their meal was paidd for they should have been left alone. Just sad...

Post a Comment