Thursday, April 7, 2011

WhAt A dAy IT hAs BeEn!

Warning! No pictures and a very wordy rant!

It actually started earlier in the week when I started having allergies and sinus drainage. It is definitely that time of the year. All the blooming grass, weeds, trees and flowers get me every year. I love Spring anyway, just know from past experience I will be dealing with at least one sinus infection. Well, since it has been planned for me to do my first wedding engagement photos this weekend, I figured I better get to the Dr. ASAP to try to nip it in the bud before things got too bad. So yesterday was also a jam-packed day of activities and one of them has been trying to do some stuff for Brice (my sister Lavonna's husband) for his new home he has built that will be in the parade of homes. I have been busting my chops all week working on the projects only to find out today he doesn't want them until the last week of April. Good news is, they are 99% finished, bad news is I wish I had known that last night when I felt like #$%&@ and stayed up until midnight trying to finish! Oh, well. Brice definitely doesn't get the award for "Best Communicator." (God bless your little heart Lavonna.) Anyway, back to today. It actually started this morning at about 4:00 when my medicine that the Dr. prescribed caused me those crazy side effects that so many antihistamine drugs do. I was tired and sleepy, but buzzing like crazy. No sleep going on for me. We had already planned to get up at 7:00 (that's really early for me and Kevin, sorry you working folks) as today was dog grooming day. You have lived a very boring life if you have never tried to wrangle five dogs to the groomers at once. It's always a stressful adventure. We did get them there safely and all intact. Kevin wanted to go out to breakfast, but I wanted to cook. My older sister Darla had made a quick trip into town and we were getting together for breakfast. I prevailed (I know surprise, surprise) and we came home and I started preparing my mini-quiches I blogged about here. Darla came over and we had a very nice visit over brunch. We then worked on some computer things and I scanned so photos she had brought up from Lubbock for a project. Then we noticed the time was almost 12:00 and she needed to leave by 1:00 so we struck out on an errand run and a quick stop by another relative's house. After she left I had a manicure appointment at 1:00 so I set off for that. It was nice to have a little quiet break. Then after my manicure stopped in at the UPS store to finalize details for Brice's project, I still hadn't gotten the memo that he didn't need it today. Came home and started working on the project again. Finally Brice called me and gave me the news that he didn't need it by this weekend. The dog groomer called and said the dogs were ready so off we went again to retrieve our babies. We decided we would drop Duchess off at her home and Kevin wanted to go in and see the new baby (details will be on Deonne Day Off later). We left all our dogs in the car with the air conditioner running. We were only in for maybe ten minutes. We came back out and as soon as we opened the car door the SMELL hit me in the face. Uh-oh! One of the dogs had pooped in the car. Oh goody! We came home and got that mess all taken care of and I actually played out in the yard with the dogs for a little while until we were all melting. Almost as soon as I came in Kevin said he wanted to go out to dinner. I didn't really want to as I had been
running all day and never got that shower I needed so in addition to not being in the mood, I looked 'lovely'
in the loosest since of the word. I just brushed my hair and put on some lipstick (that phrase from Sara Palin about lipstick on a pig comes to mind) but off we went again. Right as I was about to go out the back door, I thought, "I'm going to turn off my Scentsy candle as I don't like the new fragrance I just put in today. It's kind of strong and not doing so well with my sinus infection." So I turned around and came back into the dinning room to turn it off. When I reached down to flip the switch, sparks flew and the light bulb burned out. I didn't really pay it much mind because the bulb is the size of a night light, so no big deal right? If only I'd have noticed that all the lights in the dinning room also went off. We had a lovely dinner at a new steak house here in town and then came home for a night of TV as Thursday is one of our favorite nights. Yeah right, NOT! First thing Kevin noticed is the VCR was not on, yes we still use a VCR. Then the TV wouldn't turn on or the lamp or the computer . . .  remember the spark . . . . well apparently it had flipped a breaker switch. So Kevin goes out to the breaker box and then comes back in befuddled and says "All the references are worn off. I don't know which switch goes to which room." I decided if we were going to have to go the elimination process I might as well make labels for all the switches, right, good plan. So I get out my label maker only to be prompted to change the batteries. So now we are on a AAA battery hunt. Got that done, now to make the labels I thought I would need. I was totally wrong by the way. Who ever wired this house was a drunken sailor I think. We finally got all the lights back on, or so we thought. So now it was time to reset ALL the clocks. We have a lot of clocks if you count all the electronics, TV, VCR, DVD, microwave, five alarm clocks, stove, telephones and lots more. It's quiet the process. Whew! Finally done, now to sit down and watch those shows. For some reason Kevin went out to the garage, probably to get the last load of laundry, when he yelled out, "No electricity in the garage!" So back to the breaker we went. Flipping switches like crazy. Do you know how difficult it is to communicate with your deaf husband when he is in the garage and you are on the other side of the house in the side yard. We tried them all and guess what? NOTHING! NADA! ZIPPO! Kevin started freaking out about the freezer. My plan was to be a redneck and run a really long extension cord into the house until tomorrow, but he wanted to call an electrician. What time was it you ask? About 9:15. Of course after hour rates. I tried all the breaker switches one more time and still no juice to the garage so I gave in and Kevin made the call. Pretty quickly a service guy came out and guess what the problem was, we didn't get one of the breaker switches back on. I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE SOMETHING LIKE THAT! Oh, well. Then I proceeded to tell the electrician what started the problem in the first place and I unplugged my candle burner. He said the plug was probably shorting out because that little light definitely should not be tripping the breaker. Of course he didn't have what he needed so he has to come back tomorrow. Then I looked in the candle burner and not only did it blow out the light bulb, it blew it up! When I opened it up to take it out, glass went everywhere in the kitchen floor! Oh, goody! Now since I had tripped all the breakers again, it was time to reset all those clocks again. So here is is 11:00 and all is well in the Hare household. Can you say margarita? Not really, wouldn't go well with my antibiotic, but I can wish.And you thought my life was a boring retired life.


blue leelee

5 comments:

Jen said...

My what a day. I haven't been to your blog in quite a few weeks it seems. Loved catching up. But this one made me tired reading it and I haven't got out of bed yet. Not sure it is a good idea, here's hoping my day is calmer.

Loved the new pans as well. Several years ago I bought a new shiny set and loved it after years of married life with old stuff. Then Maurice died and I virtually have stopped cooking. Moved into a place with a smaller kitchen and gave them all away. Now I have one or two of the old, old favourites that I was loathe to part with when I bought my new ones.

Looking forward to your April photo for my desktop. Seeing as how you don't have much to do!!!! :)))

sue said...

????? Why do you need 5 alarm clock?

Darla said...

Oy Vey! After reading this a song, written by Kevin Fowler - also from Amarillo, came to mind...

Dog-tired
Yeah, I'm wired
Uptight-er than an a-string
About to break
Tail-draggin'
A little ragged
Hangin' by a thread
That's startin' to fray
Just in case there might be
Little ears around
I won't say it
I'll just spell it out

I feel like pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Don't give a blank
And a whole lot of other
Choice words I can't say
Today I feel like
Pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Hung-over
A lot closer
To ringin' death's door
Than I was yesterday

Head-achin'
Hand-shakin'
Badly in need
Of a shower and shave
Yeah, I know I'm lookin'
A little rough
The least I can do
Is clean my language up
I feel like pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Don't give a blank
And a whole lot of other
Choice words I can't say
Today I feel like
Pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
I think I partied
A little too hard last night
Let's see here now
How do I put this right?
I feel like pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Don't give a blank
And a whole lot of other
Choice words I can't say
Today I feel like
Pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Don't give a blank
And a whole lot of other
Choice words I can't say
Today I feel like
Pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point
Percentage sign, at symbol
Back-slash, squiggle-thing
Pound-sign, question mark
Star, exclamation point

Like I said before, oy vey! What a day you had. Hope those kind don't come along very often!

I had fun and loved the breakfast.

Dmundampi

Laura Fiskin said...

I am EXHAUSTED just reading about it! Hope you are on the mend.

lavonnastater said...

Like we always say, if you give a mouse a cookie . . .

Darla, never heard that song before. It's funny.

Post a Comment