The year KD and I got married was one year after KD's mother suddenly died. We were definitely on a budget so we went through his mother's Christmas stuff to decorate our home. Thankfully we did, because when KD's dad got remarried all of the things that had been in the family were done away with. These were some elves that KD's mom always used on her tree. I always imagine them talking to each other and enjoying being out of the box for a month or so. I always tell them "See you next year boys."
I'm not sure if KD or his mom made these, but the camel has KD's name on the back and the date is 1966. I remember making a similar star at church when I was about the same age. Mine was pink glittery though.
Mr. and Mrs. Cat came from Germany. My sister sent them to me when her husband was stationed in the army there. They look so debonair. I love them.
More of KD's mother's things. This set of drums are so sweet. We've lost a few over the years and Hans tore up another this year, but I still love them.
My Grandma E. made these stockings for me when I lived on my own in college. She used to put a candy cane in each one. I cherish these.
I have never seen these before or since. They are tinsel but instead of the messy individual strands, they are bound together with a hanger. I love the way they glisten and glint on the tree. Hans had one of these this year too.
And last but not least, and not a tree ornament, is my animated Santa that my daddy gave me several years ago. He's about two and a half feet tall. I love him too.
And here is our new Christmas tree, stripped of all her adornments. Ready to be taken apart and shoved back in the box until next year. It's just always a little sad. Christmas is such a joyous and festive occasion and then . . . it's over.
I have many other ornaments that I use too and each one has a special memory attached. Like the one from my best friend Cheryl, a snow angel. Or the one from my friend Sue, a hand made llama she sent me from South America when they lived there. Can't forget the sequined wreath from my friend Gail. I have many that I saved from my students and some made by nieces and nephews. They are all so special. Since we can't all be together each year and some have passed on, each year as I decorate my tree I walk down memory lane and remember all these people and what they mean to me. So undecorating is always sad, like putting my memories in a box in the attic for another year.
No comments:
Post a Comment