Friday, May 21, 2010

Another Rose Bush Story

Are you tired of my obsession with rose bushes? I was noticing the other day how many flowers and bushes are in bloom this Spring. Then I remembered an article I cut out of the paper talking about the abundant wild flower season predicted this year because of the huge amount of snow we had last winter. I deduced it must be the same for all the roses and other flowers. I can honestly say I have never seen so many blooms before. It is beautiful. I really did want to go to East Texas and take photos of all the wild flowers, but it just didn't work out and actually I was thankful because the week I was going to go was the week mom was hospitalized. I did however find this patch of flowers in Littlefield.

I just had to stop and take photos. I was really feeling like a nut as I was laying on my stomach in these people's driveway to get the shot. I didn't ask them just stopped and shot. I hope they weren't home but hurried just in case. I was so happy to see the blue bonnets and as soon as I got home told Ethan what I had

seen. We had just had a conversation the week before that blue bonnets (officially known as lupins and are the state flower of Texas) usually don't grow this far north, too cold and too dry. Now that I know it is possible, I'm thinking about ordering some seeds from somewhere to see if I can grow some next year.

Hey, I thought this post was supposed to be another rose story??? In education we called that "bird walking." If you think of how a bird hops along the ground and then think of a conversation that doesn't really follow a thread that's bird walking. Anyway, back to the rose bush story. The other day I was out checking on the side of the house to see if anything was growing or blooming, or if anything was over-growing. I must admit I was quite taken aback when I found this.

Can you tell what has happened? The rose bush had torn a hole in the screen and then continued to grow up into the window! I tried to pull it out, but saw right quick that was not going to work as it had grown way up into the window. So far in fact that it had started dying.

Not just in the bottom part behind the screen, but completely up to the very top of the window behind the glass. Is that crazy or what? I couldn't figure how I was going to get it out, as our windows are the older storm windows and don't fold out for cleaning. I finally decided to just cut the screen out since it was ruined anyway. I went and got a knife and got after it. I was able to get the bottom part out, but not the top part. It is still dead, brown and stuck behind the glass. I guess from now on I will check more carefully to make sure we are not being invaded by run-away roses. Have you ever seen anything so crazy?blue leelee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty strange. The pictures are good though. I especially liked the bluebonnets. I don;t know if you got those across the street and behind us or not. There once were bluebonnets growing in that yard. If so, the house has long been vacant, an the occupants have passed away, and no one has done anything with the house yet. I have some bluebonnet seeds you can have. Love, Mom

Tina said...

The rose bush is wild! I love your rose bush stories! I keep going to the drive-thru at Crazy Larry's just to see the rose bush - there is at least a million buds! On our trip this week there were lots of different colors and flowers along the way - I loved it! I would yell at the boys to LOOK how beautiful and Randy was like I see it...and I was like NO REALLY LOOK - it is so beautful!!!
My most favorite place to visit is this place http://www.wildseedfarms.com/aboutus.html
We should plan us a girls trip!!

Post a Comment