Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ogallala Quilter’s Annual Quilt Show

Last Friday me, mom, Darla, Laurie and Sophia met in Dimmit for the annual quilter’s show. It has become an annual girls outing for us too. I think mom and the other’s have been for the last four years or so, but I have only been able to join them the last two years after I retired. I have never quilted and don’t foresee that happening as I know I don’t have the patience. I remember as a little girl, grandma and her friends and sister-in-laws quilting. They would set up the large frame that took up the whole room to work on the quilt. They did it the hard way, all by hand. I still have the quilt grandma made for me before I left for college. It is one of my prized possessions. I have always been intrigued with the process and preciseness of it. I used to watch the quilting show on PBS and know there is lots of measuring and math calculations required. As for now, I’ll just enjoy someone else’s work. This year I noticed a lot of the quilts had 3-D effect. A lot of them had sculpture added to them. There were not many done by hand stitching, but they were still beautiful. When you check in at the door they give you disposable gloves so you can touch. I would rather feel the textures but I totally understand. Here are some of the pictures I took. Seems I am drawn to the more abstract geometric designs.

 

Warning!!! I went photo crazy. Lots of pictures. You can click on any photo to enlarge it. Enjoy the show.

 

I loved this one. It just draws you right in.

quilt1a

 

Another beautiful design.

quilt2a

 

Beautiful. I would not use this on a bed. I think it would look better hanging on the wall. I wouldn’t want any kids or animals laying on it.

quilt3

This is a close up of the pink flower in the quilt above. If you click on the photo to enlarge it you can see the stitching.

quilt4

I can’t remember what was the deal with the ships, but I liked it. There was one a lady made for her husband that was a pilot that was all planes.

quilt5

Just another beautiful graphic design. I love the bold colors.

quilt6

 

There was definitely something for everyone. I bet this one was very difficult to make. Think of all the measuring to make it turn our right. Very cool.

quilt7

One of my favorites. Love tea pots. Can we all sing, “I’m a little tea pot short and stout . . . “

quilt8

 

This one definitely got your attention. The little humming birds around the center point circle were adorable.

quilt9

Too cute for a kid’s room or even a nursery. Very whimsical.

quilt10

This one was an old fashioned design. It reminded me of the quilts grandma made.

quilt12

This was a Christmas quilt and it was breathtaking. I was listening to a lady tell her husband the intricacies of making this one. She lost me after the first few minutes. It was amazing.

quilt13

This one reminded me of fire. I would love to curl up under this quilt. I think you would feel warmer just looking at it.

quilt14

A close up of the “fire” quilt to see the stitching and all those little squares. I’m sure it took a long time to measure, cut and sew them all together. It looks simple, but I bet it was very difficult since monochrome usually is.

quilt15

I loved the geometric shape of this one.

quilt16

A purse lover’s quilt. I immediately thought of Tina.

quilt22

This was more of a wall hanging. I loved it because I love buttons.

quilt18

You can see the button hanging above the table in this photo. Imagine that, buttons for sale! My favorite!

quilt19

O-o-o-o-h love all the jars of buttons. I was in button heaven. Thank goodness I’ve been watching “Hoarders” or I surely would have bought some.

quilt17

Darla insisted taking a photo of me drooling over the buttons.

quilt20 

There was a little chest with drawers of buttons by color. Very cool.

quilt21

A display of vintage tea towels. All with embroidery designs. They also reminded me of grandma. I actually have a few of grandma’s. I don’t use them though. I just look at them and think of grandma.

quilt23

Miniatures of sewing things. I loved the little sewing machine. Grandma had one of those too.  She got a newer version, but she preferred the old pump pedal singer.

quilt24

More quilts. This one was three dimensional.

quilt25

An enlarged section of the above quilt. Cute use of buttons.

quilt26

A Texas wild flower quilt. I think most of those are considered weeds. I received many a bouquet from students of those wild flowers.

quilt27

And my very favorite of the whole show. It was not really a quilt, but a wall hanging. It was computer parts. So cool!

quilt28

I’m sure we will go next year. You should plan to come too.

3 comments:

Tina said...

LOVED the PICTURES!! AMAZING!! These looked like WORKS of art!

Anonymous said...

I go to our quilt show here every January. In fact, that started me quilting about 8 or 9 years ago. There are a lot of tricks, so some things look harder than they actually are. I am sure you could do it. No hand sewing for me, I don't have the patience for that. Right now I am working on a baby quilt for a co-worker whose due date was the 24th, but is actually at the hospital right now. Better get busy! Sue

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! They are works of art to me. I understand how many hours go into each one, and the artistic ability of the quilter. I enjoyed seeing all of them and being with you girls very much! Thanks for making all the pictures. Love, Mom

Post a Comment