Every year it is always a wonder if we will have plums. About ten or more years ago, I was awakened on my birthday by some really loud noises coming from the front yard. I peeked out the window to see a backhoe digging an enormous hole in the front yard. I went out and incredulously asked the men, "What are you doing?" To which they replied, "Planting your fruitless plum tree." I had no idea what they were talking about. Come to find out, Kevin's step-mom had ordered it for my birthday. It might have been nice if she had asked me, but she didn't. Anyway, the deed was done. I remember specifically him saying "fruitless." You can imagine my surprise when the tree was about three years old and we had a bumper crop of plums. Every year it's always any ones guess whether we will have plums or not. If they survive the weather, then we have to contend with the birds and squirrels. I noticed the other day we had lots of baby plums. See.
I usually try to make plum jelly if the tree produces enough. One year it was so cute because Mallory was little when the plums were ripe. Every time they came over we would pick some plums. Then much later after all the plums were gone, Mallory went out to the tree and said, "Leelee, I want a plum." I told her they were all gone. She just couldn't understand what had happened. She thought they would always be there and not just for a season. I love the way kid's minds work. If I get to make jelly, I'll share. Let me know if you want some.

3 comments:
YES!!! Would love some!
I'll have some! I needed it this morning; your dad loves jelly with his biscuits, and when he looked there was none to be found! I think that is a beautiful tree, and I'm glad its not fruitless. Love, Mom
I love plum jelly. If you get plums I'll take a jar.
Post a Comment