Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gotta-see Movie


Last night Kevin and I watched a movie that he had rented on DVD. The title is Faith Like Potatoes. I had heard of it somewhere, somehow, but couldn't really remember what the story was about, but just knew it was a recommended Christian movie. I'm not sure if it ever was in theatres or was just for video. However, it is definitely worth watching and I told Kevin I wanted to buy a copy for our library of DVDs. The movie is based on the true story of a man named Angus Buchan. He and his wife lived in Zambia, when they were forced to sell their family farm and move to South Africa because of the political unrest and civil war. They fled with literally the shirts on their backs and whatever farm equipment they could load on a tractor-trailer. When they got to South Africa they bought a ranch, but there was not a place to live so they set up housekeeping in a small camper/trailer with no running water, electricity or bathroom. Angus, like so many of us had his own plan and was very stubborn about making it on his own. Life was definitely not going in his favor when his family was invited to a church service at the local Methodist church. Laymen were going to be speaking, especially farmers. Angus went begrudgingly but God spoke to him that night and he gave his life to Christ. Angus Buchan is still living and preaching the Word of God to this very day. His story is how God uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways if we just submit to His will. I highly recommend this movie to anyone that is a Follower of Christ, church leader, youth leader, struggling Christian, or non-Christian that is looking for answers. You can also read more about Angus Buchan and his Shalom Ministries here. You can rent or buy the video at your local video store or any Family Christian Bookstore.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jen said...

I loved this movie also and I read the book too.

Just got back yesterday from the UK. Didn't want to come home and have to return to responsibility. But I am stretching out the going home. I am spending some time with the family in Perth first/ Since I don't have a home to go to just yet. But I am sure the Lord will provide soon, now that I am back from vacation.

Post a Comment