First of all, I am feeling better. I still don't have my voice back fully, but at least I can talk in spurts before it starts cracking up. Some of you know that I am taking a photography class this semester at
Amarillo College. It has proved to be very interesting. For the first week assignment we were to take two photos of three different subjects that are of interest to us. I used shots of Lexie, John,
Leeba, Simon and the ice on the branches, berries and leaves. They all turned out pretty good, but there was a
snafu when I tried to burn them onto a CD and when the instructor tried to view them the disk was blank. It was so
embarrassing! So I was determined to make sure I had my homework this week. Our assignment was to take two photos of a sunrise/sunset, two photos with silhouettes and two photos focused on the silhouette object with the colored sky in the background. First of all I want to say I found it to be very hard. I was surprised at how fast the sun rises and sets over the horizon. Then to make matters worse, you really need some clouds to get the variation of colors and finally I was so sick this week. ( check previous post) Kevin was not real happy with me getting up early for the sunrise but he did comply. Of course we didn't agree on where to drive out to for the best pictures and by the time we decided the sun was up over the horizon. I finally decided to just do some shots and put them on a CD as any photos would be better than none. So here are three of the six I turned in.

I thought this was interesting with the tree and sun in the background. I have no
idea who's ranch it was or even where it is located. I was just driving west on a
Farm to Market Road out past Bushland, Texas.

Of course this is the famed
Cadillac Ranch. It was really my first thought for sunset
but I figured everyone else would think of it too. I finally decided to go ahead and
shoot there. Surprisingly enough only one other person had photos of the Cadillac Ranch.
If you are ever driving on I-40 West by Amarillo you should stop and check it out.
It's the Stonehenge of Texas.
And finally just a beautiful Texas sunset. No wonder lots of movie production companies come here just to shoot the sunset scenes. We do have some beautiful ones and since it is wide open space and nothing blocking it from view, they are spectacular almost every evening.
Our homework assignment for this week is to do three photos each of
cityscape's, stairways and reflections. We also started getting more into the technical parts of photography talking about metering,
f stops, apertures and ISO. The instructor said at one point, "Deer in the headlights." His best advice to all of us "newbies" was to read, read, read our computer manual and play around with our camera. I'll post next week some of my photos for this assignment. I already am thinking of places to go. Oh, by the way, my homework CD worked this week! Yea!
No comments:
Post a Comment