As you well have noticed, I rarely blog any more. I do miss it, but just never get around to writing one. Well, today is the birthday of Theodor Seuss Geisel, otherwise known as Dr. Seuss.
I was going to post on Facebook but decided I had more to say than a little blurb appropriate for FB so here I am.
My favorite book of Dr. Seuss is The Sneetches. I relate on so many levels. That's the beauty of Dr. Seuss books, there are so many teachable moments. Most people only see the ease of reading for the use of phonetics and rhyming words, but they're really are much deeper than that.
The basis of The Sneetches is prejudism. The first group of Sneetches have stars on their bellies and are therefore much better than the Sneetches that don't have stars. I've dealt with prejudice most of my life. Whether social economics, short stature, or even being female. I know people of race have experienced much worse prejudism, but really being prejudice is being prejudice no matter how you sugar coat it. We live in a very prejudice world. Just as the Sneetches discover in the end of the story, they are all the same and it doesn't matter if they have a star or not, we too are all the same.
To quote the end of the story:
"That day the Sneetches got really quite smart on that day,
The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches
And no kind of Sneetches is the best on the beeches."
So let's learn from the Sneetches that we are all the same. We love, we live, we hurt, we laugh and eventually we die.
Here's a video from YouTube of The Sneetches.

I was going to post on Facebook but decided I had more to say than a little blurb appropriate for FB so here I am.
My favorite book of Dr. Seuss is The Sneetches. I relate on so many levels. That's the beauty of Dr. Seuss books, there are so many teachable moments. Most people only see the ease of reading for the use of phonetics and rhyming words, but they're really are much deeper than that.
The basis of The Sneetches is prejudism. The first group of Sneetches have stars on their bellies and are therefore much better than the Sneetches that don't have stars. I've dealt with prejudice most of my life. Whether social economics, short stature, or even being female. I know people of race have experienced much worse prejudism, but really being prejudice is being prejudice no matter how you sugar coat it. We live in a very prejudice world. Just as the Sneetches discover in the end of the story, they are all the same and it doesn't matter if they have a star or not, we too are all the same.
To quote the end of the story:
"That day the Sneetches got really quite smart on that day,
The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches
And no kind of Sneetches is the best on the beeches."
So let's learn from the Sneetches that we are all the same. We love, we live, we hurt, we laugh and eventually we die.
Here's a video from YouTube of The Sneetches.
Two questions to ponder. What prejudice have you experienced? What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

2 comments:
well said,madam!!
I love Dr. Suess! Think we all need to read all his books again,and really see what all he is trying to tell us in each one! We read the Grinch Who Stole Christmas,almost every year for our pass the gift game! Green Eggs and Ham still makes me laugh!
Post a Comment