I know yesterday was April Fools Day and I usually don't participate. Mostly because I hate to be scared and most jokes (that others deem funny) include jumping out and scaring someone. So since I can't take it I don't dish it out. I also had my fill of April Fools while I taught. I always dreaded April 1st. The first twenty times you hear "teacher there's a spider on your head" is tolerable, but it gets old after that. I always played along because after all they are only five and it was harmless, just tiresome. Well, apparently Tipper didn't get the "no pranks" memo yesterday. Kevin and I were having a late breakfast. Really it was closer to lunch time but we didn't have any pressing appointments so we were taking it easy. After we eat we usually play the word games from the newspaper. By Friday we have several days worth to do. I call it at 'test' as my brain gets tired after a couple days of puzzles. Yesterday we only had two days worth of puzzles. So we were sitting at the kitchen table working on the word games when Kevin got up to do something. I had my face down looking at my note pad so neither of us noticed Tipper had jumped up in Kevin's chair behind him. Kevin started to sit down and reached back to tug on the chair to pull it underneath him, but the chair wouldn't budge. He pulled again . . . . nothing. He pulled again . . . nothing. His hand kept slipping off the front of the seat. You should have seen his quizzical face. He told me later he was thinking somehow some magnetic field was holding the chair down, or that the varnish had melted and glued the chair to the floor. He was getting very frustrated and turned around to use both hands to pull the chair in and there sat Tipper as proud as could be. We both started laughing and I said, "April Fools" from Tipper. The only other April Fools joke that I was a part of was in the Amarillo Globe newspaper. For two years now there has been speculation that Matthew McConaughey was moving to Amarillo. Not to just any old place in Amarillo, but to Ong Street, about three blocks from where we live. I have asked all my sources that are in the know and they all say it isn't true, but I keep my eye on "his house" just in case. Well, yesterday the headline read "It's True! Matthew McConaughey is Moving to Amarillo." I saw several links to the article on Facebook so I told Kevin, bring me the paper. I found the article and started reading. It sounded very viable with lots of references to Matthew's friend that lives in Amarillo and to his agent, but something in the back of my mind kept telling me "It's a joke." Then the last paragraph said, "If you'll check your calendar for the date and then collect the first letter from each paragraph in the story, you'll know the only place you will see Matthew McConaughey is in the theatre." Too bad, a girl can dream right? So how was your April 1st, anything happen to you?
Saturday, April 2, 2011
April Fools Day
I know yesterday was April Fools Day and I usually don't participate. Mostly because I hate to be scared and most jokes (that others deem funny) include jumping out and scaring someone. So since I can't take it I don't dish it out. I also had my fill of April Fools while I taught. I always dreaded April 1st. The first twenty times you hear "teacher there's a spider on your head" is tolerable, but it gets old after that. I always played along because after all they are only five and it was harmless, just tiresome. Well, apparently Tipper didn't get the "no pranks" memo yesterday. Kevin and I were having a late breakfast. Really it was closer to lunch time but we didn't have any pressing appointments so we were taking it easy. After we eat we usually play the word games from the newspaper. By Friday we have several days worth to do. I call it at 'test' as my brain gets tired after a couple days of puzzles. Yesterday we only had two days worth of puzzles. So we were sitting at the kitchen table working on the word games when Kevin got up to do something. I had my face down looking at my note pad so neither of us noticed Tipper had jumped up in Kevin's chair behind him. Kevin started to sit down and reached back to tug on the chair to pull it underneath him, but the chair wouldn't budge. He pulled again . . . . nothing. He pulled again . . . nothing. His hand kept slipping off the front of the seat. You should have seen his quizzical face. He told me later he was thinking somehow some magnetic field was holding the chair down, or that the varnish had melted and glued the chair to the floor. He was getting very frustrated and turned around to use both hands to pull the chair in and there sat Tipper as proud as could be. We both started laughing and I said, "April Fools" from Tipper. The only other April Fools joke that I was a part of was in the Amarillo Globe newspaper. For two years now there has been speculation that Matthew McConaughey was moving to Amarillo. Not to just any old place in Amarillo, but to Ong Street, about three blocks from where we live. I have asked all my sources that are in the know and they all say it isn't true, but I keep my eye on "his house" just in case. Well, yesterday the headline read "It's True! Matthew McConaughey is Moving to Amarillo." I saw several links to the article on Facebook so I told Kevin, bring me the paper. I found the article and started reading. It sounded very viable with lots of references to Matthew's friend that lives in Amarillo and to his agent, but something in the back of my mind kept telling me "It's a joke." Then the last paragraph said, "If you'll check your calendar for the date and then collect the first letter from each paragraph in the story, you'll know the only place you will see Matthew McConaughey is in the theatre." Too bad, a girl can dream right? So how was your April 1st, anything happen to you?

No comments:
Post a Comment