Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Three Days Later

On Sunday, we received about 4 inches of snow. It was the thick, wet, heavy kind and everything was covered. Fast-forward to the wee hours of this morning (I think it was about 1:00 am when I let the dogs out) and I opened the back door to find this.

I really didn't think the weathermen had predicted it correctly as they were saying all day . . . Winter Weather Warning with predictions of up to 12 inches of snow with blowing and drifting snow up to 3 feet.


The dogs bound down the steps to go do their business, only to find themselves neck deep in snow.  You can see from their tracks they were just spinning in circles and came in covered in snow. I finally went out with the shovel and made them a path so they could tend to business so we could go to bed.


After we all got back inside, I decided to check out the front door. I don't know if you can tell or not, but the inside of the door was completely frosted over. That's Papi wanting to go out, but once I opened the door he and Hans decided they would be fine staying in.


I stepped out on the porch to take this photo. The flash came on. I loved the way it reflected off the snowflakes. As you can see the snow was coming down really heavy.


 I turned off the flash and took this shot. I loved the ethereal look of the early morning light reflecting off the snow.
 Looking up the street the other direction. This was about 1:30 in the morning, all frosty and frozen.

I took the rest of these photos this morning about 7:30. The dogs decided they needed to go back out. We had drifts around 2-3 feet deep covering our entire back yard. Hans and Fritz aren't bothered by the snow at all. Must be the "German" in them. Papi and Tipper don't care for it at all and we have to force them to go out.


Anyone care to join me on the patio for some "ice" tea.  Notice the depth of the snow under the chairs. The official report for the total snow in Amarillo is 6.5 inches, but this is NOT a drift and it is at least 10-12 inches deep.

The front porch was encased in a huge drift. We could barely push the front door open to get out. The difference between this snow and Sunday's snow is it is very dry and powdery. I'm guessing it's the good kind for skiing.


Kevin shoveling off the porch so we can at least open the door without the snow falling and blowing inside the living room.


Looking across our yard towards our neighbors driveway. I hope you can tell how deep the snow really is. It's incredible. I hope the weatherman says how much we've had in the last couple of weeks. It's a lot . . . at least at our house.
And guess what? You won't believe it. The temperature is supposed to be close to 70 on Tuesday! Now is that crazy Texas weather or what?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow! You got a lot of snow! Looks deeper than in Canyon! It was quite a storm! Wished I would have taken pictures before everyone started driving on the streets or walking across the yards! Most people in other parts of the country just can't believe we get this kind of snow! Loved your perspective!

sue said...

Beautiful to look at! Keep warm!

Post a Comment