Here's Z** doing what he loves best. The new Wii game was Epic Mickey. He was so cute, he kept saying, "I've been dreaming of this moment!" Oh to have that child-like innocence again.
Like I said earlier, we just ended up staying in for New Year's Eve and that was fine with me as we have been going and blowing for a couple of weeks now and I was exhausted. When it came time for the New Year's toast I went into the kitchen to get our glasses ready. We had bought this bottle of champagne the day before, so it was chilled and ready to toast.
But then we don't even fill the glasses with the champagne, only half and then fill it the rest of the way with Sparkling Apple Juice.
Sparkling juice comes in red or white. We like them both.
Of course we had to have our "good luck" black-eyed peas. According to Wikipedia the tradition dates back to the Civil War. "If you are planning to celebrate the New Year in the Southeast, it is most likely that you will be offered black-eyed peas in some form, either just after midnight or on New Year's Day. From grand gala gourmet dinners to small casual gatherings with friends and family, these flavorful legumes are traditionally, according to Southern folklore, the first food to be eaten on New Year's Day for luck and prosperity throughout the year ahead.
The practice of eating black-eyed peas for luck is generally believed to date back to the Civil War. At first planted as food for livestock, and later a food staple for slaves in the South, the fields of black-eyed peas were ignored as Sherman's troops destroyed or stole other crops, thereby giving the humble, but nourishing, black-eyed pea an important role as a major food source for surviving Confederates.
Today, the tradition of eating black-eyed peas for the New Year has evolved into a number of variations and embellishments of the luck and prosperity theme including:
- Served with greens (collards, mustard or turnip greens, which varies regionally), the peas represent coins and the greens represent paper money. In some areas cabbage is used in place of the greens.
- Cornbread, often served with black-eyed peas and greens, represents gold."
Of course you have to have ham. We normally only have a ham steak but decided on a small ham so we could have sandwiches later. Turns out to be a good decision, when we called Kevin's dad to wish him a Happy New Year's he said he was home alone as his wife and step-daughter and granddaughter were all in Dallas shopping. I asked him if he would like us to bring him a plate of food when we got out later in the day.
No meal is complete for me without a fresh dinner salad.
We decided to fore go the champagne and just have sparkling juice for brunch. Looks like champagne and even bubbles like champagne,but tastes much better.
Some fresh green onions to compliment the black-eyed peas.
Our complete New Year's Day meal. It was delicious.
After lunch we decided to go to the movies to see True Grit. I was a little hesitant as it seemed a little sacrilegious to remake a John Wayne movie, but KD and I both loved it and would recommend seeing it. I hope you had a wonderful New Year's Day with your loved ones.

















2 comments:
YumYum! That all looked delicious. We had a similar meal, but I didn't
go to that much trouble.It was the only meal I cooked that day. I didn't even get dressed all day. Just stayed in bed most of New Year's Day. Love, Mom
I know. I really outdid myself. I would have stayed in my pj's but we went to the movies.
Post a Comment