Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Graceful I'm Not

According to the dictionary grace means: noun  "elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion or action, charm, loveliness. "
Some synonyms for grace are: agility, allure, attractiveness, balance, beauty, comeliness, consideration, decorum, dexterity, dignity, ease, elegance, etiquette, finesse, finish, form, gracefulness, lissomeness, lithesomeness, mannerliness, manners, nimbleness, pleasantness, pliancy, poise, polish, propriety, refinement, shapeliness, smoothness, style, suppleness, symmetry

So I feel safe to say "Graceful I'm Not."  I noticed a while back in yoga that my balance is really off and I stumble way easier than I used to. I'm not sure, I blame it on my blood pressure medicine as "unbalanced" is a listed side effect. But yesterday was the real clincher. I had gotten up pretty early with our new baby Hans as he was letting me know it was time to go outside. I guess I wasn't really awake good or maybe even was walking in my sleep. I'm not sure what happened, but the next thing I knew I was tumbling down the back porch steps. I had Hans in my left hand and was trying to grab on to the railing with my right, but I was falling fast. I'm sure you know the feeling . . . you see the ground fast aproaching but don't really have time to react. I never did hit the ground but my right heel scraped the edging of the porch really hard. I continued my stumble to the ground and put the puppy down before I assessed the damage. My heel was already bleeding with a big hunk of skin flapping. I immediately came in and washed it off. I knew I had to cut off the dead skin so I then doused it with peroxide. I felt that white, hot feeling come rushing in and knew I was about to hit the floor so I just laid down on the bathroom floor. Hans thought "Oh goody, play time." He was jumping on my head and pulling my hair, but I just had to lay there. It was so gross. Later after Kevin got up and I was retelling my tale, I said, "Now I know why I was a teacher and NOT a nurse." I usually can take blood and stuff as long as it's not MINE! I finished bandaging myself up and went back to bed.  After a long day of cleaning, walking, carrying and moving the wound never did really stop bleeding. I changed the bandage before I went to bed. This morning first thing my heel woke me up throbbing. I took care of the puppy and fully intended on going back to sleep but the tree trimmers came and that was the end of sleep and the beginning of the day. I took off the bandage to check my wound and was grossed out. It looks worse today than it did yesterday. I'm not sure going to the doctor would help as there is no skin to stitch. If it continues to look worse, I guess I'll have to break down and go to the doctor. We used to make fun of Kevin's mom because she was always bouncing from wall to wall, falling down, or tripping over the dogs. Well, as usual paybacks are hell. I am now the age she was when she was unsteady. So the next time you see a fifty-something woman stumbling around don't assume she's drunk just unsteady and remember what goes around comes around. 

Here are some photos, but I'll warn you they are gross. I've tried to protect you if you choose NOT to look, but if you want to see roll your mouse over the bandaid and it will magically disappear and the wound will appear.





5 comments:

Laurie said...

Eww! I had to look, lol. Sorry you fell, it looks really painful.

Janine Deckard said...

Hey, when my Daddy blew the bottom of his foot off getting electrocuted, he soaked his foot in salt water throughout the day. If it doesn't hurt too bad, I would try it. He never let a doctor touch his foot. They had to look at it for workman's comp, but he refused any help. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

That's terrible! Now you know how I was feeling before I passed out in Muleshoe. I'm glad you didn't fall hard enough to break something. I hope you will be alright! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I know how you feel, I fell a couple of months ago while walking to the back yard with a bag of bird seed. Mostly I was just glad no one else saw me! Scraped up me knees. When we were at Capi's baby naming ceremony, TJ asked what happened and when I told him, he said "we're putting you in a home". Thanks, son. We will talk in a few years :) Hope you are better. Sue

Darla said...

I've been out of the loop and just now read about your fall. I'm so sorry, and am so thankful that it was not worse. As you know, I fall pretty easily these days, and I'm never drunk. I didn't know high blood pressure meds could make one unstable. Maybe that is part of my problem.

I have not had a pain free day or night (concerning my feet) since I had shingles which caused neuropathy in my left foot several years ago. I moan and groan even while asleep, according to Lance. I try to remain active, but many days I just have to sit in my recliner with my feet up in order to endure the pain at all. Sometimes I take an asprin, but for the most part I simply suffer through it. I don't want to cause myself more problems by taking too much medication. And since I hope to live for many more years, I try to avoid medication when possible.

I do hope there is no permanent damage and that everything will heal completely and quickly.

Post a Comment