Friday, March 12, 2010

Looking For Spring

I love the seasonal changes. I always fantasize about living in Hawaii, but I know I would miss the seasonal order. I know . . . I complain a lot during the Winter Season. It is definitely my least favorite, but there is an ethereal beauty to the frozenness  of the stark color contrasts against the sapphire blue sky. My favorite season is Autumn with its explosion of flaming colors, but I always long for Spring. Maybe it is because of my lack of love for Winter, but there is something so refreshing about the cycle of new growth that bursts forth as Spring. And the promise of warmer sunnier days just over the horizon. One of our favorite movies of all time is Being There. In one part of the movie Chauncy the gardner is telling the President his theory about growth in the garden. The President and Mr. Rand assume he is talking symbolically not literally. Here is the dialogue from the movie.
“PRESIDENT: Do you agree with Ben, Mr. Gardiner? Are we finished? Or do you think we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives? CHANCE:  As long as the roots are not severed, all is well and all will be well in the garden. PRESIDENT:  ... In the garden? CHANCE: That is correct. In a garden, growth has its season. There is spring and summer, but there is also fall and winter. And then spring and summer again... PRESIDENT: ... Spring and summer... Yes, I see... Fall and winter.  Yes, indeed... Could you go through that one more time, please, Mr. Gardiner? RAND: I think what my most insightful friend is saying, Mr. President, is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, yet we are upset by the seasons of our economy. CHANCE: Yes. That is correct. PRESIDENT :...Well, Mr. Gardiner, I must admit, that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.”
I too welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, especially Spring. I decided I would go on a walk in the neighborhood this afternoon and see if I could find evidence of coming Spring. I was pleasantly surprised with my discoveries. Yes indeed Spring is on the way.

Our lilac bush is beginning to bud.
2010_03_12_6910

I’m not sure what this plant is that has started to peek through the barren soil.
2010_03_12_6912
The rose bush is sprouting new leaves.
2010_03_12_6913

More sprouts of green.
2010_03_12_6914   

Even our grass is changing to the Spring green shade.
2010_03_12_6915


And then a burst of color! Pansies a sure sign of Spring.
2010_03_12_6919


Around the corner I came across these hyacinths. They smelled divine.2010_03_12_6921

Daffodils always seem to be first to raise their heads in glory of Spring warmth.
 2010_03_12_6922

But alas . . . the starkness of Winter is still present.2010_03_12_6926
But I prefer to continue to search for Spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pictures! I,too, am SOOOO ready for spring! I don't enjoy winter at any time! Love, Mom

Post a Comment