Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Full Blown Temper Tantrum

Tantrum Today, due to circumstances, I had to watch H*ster’s baby sitting kids for a few hours. All of the kids know me since I am either over there or they come by here with H*ster. Usually though, H*ster is still present and in charge of the kids. Things were going okay for a while, but then when Ak*lee got home from pre-k she and her younger sister Sha*lee started a little tit-a-tat. I guess to see who was in charge amongst themselves. I told them both to stop or they were going to get a time out. They continued so I put them both in time out. Sha*lee did just as she was told and went and sat on the time out bench, but that was the beginning of the battle of wills between Ak*li and me. (Silly girl!) After a few minutes, I talked to them individually about obeying and let them get up and go back to the table for lunch. Sha*lee was a member of the clean plate club, but Akil* didn’t like anything we were having. I said, “Oh well, I guess you’ll be hungry for snack time.” And didn’t cater to her demand. She finally decided she would eat some macaroni and cheese, but that was all. After lunch I know the routine is always naptime, but they had to try those boundaries too. The fight was on for pallet covers. I ended up taking the “problem” blanket and telling them neither could use it. Finally Sha*lee laid down but Ak*li refused to lay down or be quiet. I gave her a warning and she continued. I calmly got up, went and picked her up and took her into the hallway for a time out. I went back in the living room for about five minutes and then went back to talk to her and check on things. She was up and playing with one of the baby dolls. Oh no she didn’t! I told her, “You are not going to play. You can either go lay down quietly or sit in here in the hallway.”  She promptly told me she would do neither. “She wanted to play!” Too bad, so sad. Not happening! Round two was on. I saw right quickly that she is used to everyone (probably not H*ster so much) caving into her manipulative ways. Obviously she hasn’t come across anyone like me. I’ve had thirty years of practice and told her as much. She again refused to lay down, so I said, “Okay, you’ve made your choice. You will stay in the hallway until Sha*lee and J*stin wake up. But since you did not take a nap you will not be getting a snack after naptime.” She yelled, “Oh yes I will!” By this time I had decided to not argue with her or even acknowledge her. Just simply sit between her and the door so she couldn’t go wake up the other two, but keep her contained and ignore her completely. She was so mad! By this time she was screaming, “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? GO GET MY PILLOW! I WANT MY BLANKET! CALL MY DADDY! I WANT TO TAKE A NAP! MOVE! GO LAY DOWN! I DON’T LIKE YOU! WHY ARE YOU NOT TALKING TO ME!” and on and on and on she went. I just calmly sat in my chair not saying a word. She was furious! Up to this point there had been a blanket and towel on the floor she had been wallowing on, but in her anger she had thrown them over in my direction so I had confiscated them. Now she was down to the bare floor. She started in screaming again. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I WANT TO TAKE A NAP. I WILL BE QUIET. I WON’T WAKE UP SHA*LEE. LET ME OUT.” Again, silence from me. This went on for almost an hour. Thank goodness Sha*lee and J*stin were already both asleep and knew nothing about the tantrum. At one point during the battle I did tell Ak*li, “Honey, I’ve had thirty years at this. You have NEVER met anyone as stubborn as me. You will NOT win this battle.” Finally after a few more outburst which I ignored, she said, “I’m going to use the bathroom.” After she came out, I asked her “Are your ready to go lay down and take a nap now?” She calmly said, “Yes.” and went and laid down and was asleep in about five minutes.  I thought the whole thing was kind of funny. Ak*li couldn’t believe she didn’t get a rise or reaction out of me. I can recognize her type in a flash, used to getting their way because it’s just too hard to fight with them. I’ve seen it many times before where the kids rule the roost because the adults are too weak and tired to keep control. Kids learn the game of manipulation very well and very early. I kind of liked the challenge, but definitely don’t miss doing it daily. I still like retirement better.

4 comments:

Janine Deckard said...

I could learn a thing or two from you Linda, if I only had some free time!!! Zippy and I butt heads quite a bit. Her Abba doesn't play her games and she does what he says, but me, I'm a plaything. I have two choices, give in and have no fights or be a parent and fight all weekend. I take it personally I guess. Guilt with working and whatnot, but I admire your consistency and strength. I never really dealt with it too much with Zee. So I'm learning OJT with my girl. I love her so much and when it's just one-on-one it's pretty good, but when it's all four of us, it can be pretty nasty. Thanks for posting. I'm going to try and hold out with her next time.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Sue

Darla said...

I'm no pushover either. I've been called every name in the book. NOT necessarily by the kids I have dealt with - but their wimpy parents.

I started to notice many years ago something that I believe has had a very negative impact on parents and their strength over their children.

They want to be their children's friends. Their buddies. Their EQUALS - if you can believe that. But it is true.

When parents end a sentence to their kids with the word "OK?" it makes me want to shake them.

I feel like saying, "Now what are you going to do if he/she says no. You gave him the option by asking if it was ok. You moron.

You simply tell the child what is what, and deal with it much like you did. It sounds mean maybe, but it isn't.

I have visited young adults in jail and seen their parents blaming everyone except the child who has just murdered someone, killed someone while drunk driving, or any number of other offenses.

I bet those parents ended their sentences to their kids with OK too. And now their little buddies are all locked up because they didn't have any parents to teach them.

Am I getting old or someghing...

Anonymous said...

If you remember, I wasn't much of a pushover parent, either. You all thought I was so mean! I believe you all turned out very well, anyway, and I am so proud of you all! Bad stories about me have trickled down through the years, and my grand-kids won't try me because they already know from stories told to them that I always win! Love, Mom

Post a Comment