Friday, March 5, 2010
Asthma and Feeling Yucky!
Yesterday I went for my usual allergy shot about 4:30 in the afternoon. On the way out to the Allergist’s office I kept thinking to myself, “Don’t go.” I wasn’t wheezing but my chest felt tight. I rationalized to myself that I had not gone in two weeks and that if I didn’t go, I would definitely get sick as Spring sprouting season was just around the corner. As a matter of fact earlier in the week I saw lots of cottonwood seeds flying around. (One of my definite allergens.) So I went. They recommend staying at least thirty minutes after the shot to make sure you are not going to have an adverse reaction. I didn’t stay, I seldom do. It would not have mattered anyway, as I first started feeling the asthma attack coming on about 7:30, much past the thirty minute wait period. So I just did nothing. Then when it was time for bed I thought I’d take a couple of puffs on my inhaler. I knew it was kind of old, but hoped it had enough medicine to get me through the night. I little came out, but I really think it made me worse. I woke up about 5:30 a.m. feeling really rotten. I turned
on the t.v. to doze until 8:00 when I could call my allergist. I didn’t wake up until 9:00. I first called the pharmacy to see if I could get a refill without going to the doctor, but they said my prescription had expired and that I had to see the doctor. I next called Dr. Sorajja, my allergist. Much to my dismay his office told me he was out of town until sometime next week. (Do you see a reoccurring theme here? Seems I get told that a lot!) They suggested I call my primary doctor. I wasn’t thrilled about that as he has moved his practice to a neighboring town and I really didn’t want to drive over there. In the mean time I needed to pick up Tziporah from school and I had planned on us surprising Azariah with a McDonald’s Happy Meal for lunch. I called the doctor and they said since I hadn’t visited the new clinic yet, I would be considered a walk in, but come on down. I took a quick shower and then went to get Tzipi. The doctor would just have to wait. I picked up Tzipi (I was running a little late and they “growled” at me, even though they were annoyed, I know there is really nothing they can do, but I promised them I would not be late next week.) I told Tzipi of our plan so we went to McDonald’s and got the meals and a couple of things to entertain Tzipi once we got home. Zee was so surprised and his face was priceless! He was so excited! As usual I created quite a stir at Lamar. Visiting always does my ego well. It's nice to be loved and I do miss the thousand hugs I always get from the students and teachers. After lunch I called Avi to let him know what was going on. Thankfully he had gotten off early so I was able to take Tzipi home. I called the doctor to make sure he was in the office before I drove down there. He was still on call, so off I went to the doctor. I only had to wait about thirty minutes which was nice and then I got to see Dr. Cox. He asked me what was the problem. I told him I was suffering from asthma brought on by my allergy shot yesterday.
We discussed what my allergy doctor usually does and I told Dr. Cox that I needed my inhaler prescription renewed. I told him I preferred Albuterol. He said, “Yea, who doesn’t but it is not available anymore. “ I already knew that but was hoping. He then asked me if Dr. Sorajja ever gave me a steroid shot. I told him “Yes.'” He asked me if I wanted one to again which I answered “Yes.” He faxed in my prescription for my inhaler and then the nurse gave me a shot. I was finally on my way home. I am already feeling MUCH better. I will take a breathing treatment here after while and then will hit the hay. Hopefully tomorrow I will be even better. Thank God for inhalers, nebulizers, and steroid shots.
Labels:
asthma,
inhalers,
nebulizers
2 comments:
Welcome Spring!
Sorry you have been having asthma. We have been under the weather all week because of that stomach ailment. That is just the pits! Hope you are feeling better soon! Love, Mom
Post a Comment