Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering Our Veterans

111102Today in America we set each November 11th aside to honor and remember our veterans. Originally today was called Armistice Day and was set aside to commemorate the signing of a treaty between Allies of World War I and Germany. The signing took place at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918. Too bad it wasn’t 1911. I’m all about the numbers. In a couple of years when 111101it will be 11:00 on 11/11/11 there should really be a celebration. In 1953 the date was expanded to include all veterans, not just those that fought in World War I. I am so very thankful for all branches of the military that are willing to make the sacrifice to keep our country free. To make it more111104 personal, I am thankful they make the sacrifice to insure my personal freedoms to choose to vote, or what religion I want to participate in, to voice my opinion, to carry a weapon if I so choose and all the other rights we as American’s have that we take for granted. None of the men in my immediate family have served in any wars. My dad signed up for the draft for the 111105 Korean War, but the war ended before he was drafted. He registered in Sudan and all his friends registered in Littlefield. All his friends were drafted and some gave their lives, but daddy was never called. Then during the Viet Nam War daddy was too old to serve. Darla was of the right age, but during those times women weren’t drafted and 111106rarely even enlisted. Darla would have never gone though if they would have drafted her. I think she would be a Canadian as she was very anti-Viet Nam. Later Darla’s husband Lance did join the army and served our country during peace times. Last month when Kevin and I were coming home from our cruise to Canada we were just boarding the plane in Montreal. Our seats were way in the back. As we were getting closer to our seats, I noticed a guy was already seated in the isle seat111108 (at least he was thin and I wouldn’t have to share my seat with him and Kevin) but he looked intimidating. His hair was very short and he was very dark skinned. He had tattoos and was very muscular. I immediately thought, “Great! We would have to sit next to a terrorist!” But boy was I wrong. Turns out he was a marine on his way back to Texas. He had served two tours in Iraq. We had a really nice visit. I told him I appreciate him making the sacrifice to serve our country. He said, “My wife is really the one that makes the sacrifice.” Before we landed I told him I was going to pray often for his safety and protection, and pray for his wife and three children.

These are photos I took at the Panhandle War Memorial. I had never been there, but enjoyed strolling through the grounds.111116

111111 111113111112 111114 111115

So in honor of all veterans on this Veterans Day, "Thanks for making a sacrifice and keeping America free.”


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was good. I enjoyed the pictures. Here's a little more family history you don't know. When my mother was just a child, before she started to school, my grandfather sold everything they owned and the family went back to Alabama by train. They were living in Texas at the time. My grandmother's people all lived down there. My grandfather was planning to go to war in WWI and he wanted his family to be near relatives. For some reason he never did enter the military though. Maybe the war ended. They continued living there for a while and then came back to Texas. Mom

Tina said...

Outstanding!! I love it when your Mom comments. I LOVE the Military! I always go out of my way to thank or help a Vet/Military person. I love to see the look on their faces! I can not imagine the hell & heartache complete strangers do...so that I CAN have my FREEDOM! Awesome photos!! You SHOULD start a BUSINESS!!! They are THAT GOOD!!

Post a Comment