We started our day with breakfast in our cabin. Check out that view out the door to our balcony. I could wake up to that every day I think. We decided we liked breakfast in the room and will probably do it for the rest of the cruise.
Once you step out on to the veranda, this was the complete view. Like I said, calendar perfect.
After breakfast we tendered over to the main shore and caught another boat for our harbor cruise. This was one of the condos our guide pointed out. You can have one too for 3.2 million.
One of the opulent homes built in the 1930's. Our guide said the man that created Worcestershire Sauce built this one and would host very extravagant parties that cost anywhere from $300,000 and up. That's a lot of money even today! At this particular home he said that at one party the hostess handed out sterling pails and shovels and told the guests "To thank you for attending I have buried some treasures on the beach for your enjoyment." She had hidden all kinds of gems including rubies, diamonds and sapphires in the sand for her guests to treasure hunt. Sounds like fun to me.
We finally arrived at the Rose Island Lighthouse. It has been fully restored and there is also an animal refugee on the island. You can rent out a single night or you can rent the whole second floor and be a "lighthouse keeper" for the week.
When the foundation acquired the lighthouse and the land they set out to refurbish it to it's original authenticity. There was just one problem, there were no photos of the inside. Then to their good fortune, they found a surviving grandson of the lighthouse keeper that had lived there with his grandparents most of his life. He orally told them all about living at the lighthouse and were to place the furniture.
Here we are back on the boat waiting to leave Rose Island. You can see the lighthouse in the top, left corner.
On our way back to the dock, we passed several more lighthouses. I thought this one looked a little more traditional.
Back in the bay our boat went by the yacht club and the ship yard. He pointed out this private vessel, one of the largest privately owned sail boat. The boat is over 200 feet long and was originally built for the guy that founded Netscape. The original cost was over $118,000,000 euros.
After we got back to shore we went for a walk through the town and came upon this quaint little church. It had a really old cemetery in the yard. I thought it was lovely, again calandar-esque.
Back on the ship it was time to leave. This is a photo of another lighthouse I took from the observation deck. I just love this photo and the way the clouds and sunshine are mixed in the sky. Beautiful!
After a little down time it was time to dress for dinner. Tonight was one of our formal nights and low and behold, just like in this post, someone forgot their dress shoes?!??! I'm thinking I see a pattern here. Next time I am going there you are all commissioned to remind me to PACK MY SHOES!!! as I don't have much choice since I wear a size 2. So what do you do, you wear your street shoes with your formal dress!
We went on anyway and from the waist up look pretty good. This is the entryway into the main dining hall.
Janine had asked in one of the comments about the food, so I decided to take pictures tonight and tell you about our dinner. We both had jumbo shrimp cocktails. Kevin had Cream of 4 Mushroom soup with oyster, shiitake, button and enoki mushrooms. Then for dinner he had Tournedos Rossini, which is medallion of beef tenderloin.
I had Quail with apricot bread stuffing and grand mariner sauce.
Then for dessert we had chocolate souffle'. Yes it was all very scrumptious!
6 comments:
I am so sorry you forgot your dress shoes. That has to be so frustrating. Thankfully they don't enforce shoe dress code. I remember how they kicked people out of the dining room for not being dressed properly. Guys would come in with t-shirts and they wouldn't let them in. Granted this was a Carnival cruise so there were all kinds of people there. I remember that my Dad forgot his dress socks and couldn't wear his dress shoes with white tube socks, our room attendant gave him a pair of his OWN dress socks to wear. I remember how much we missed our friend when we left the cruise. When you are on land again, could you take a picture of your ship? I would love to see it. I know this sounds silly but I'd like to see how your bathroom looks. The one in our tiny stateroom was really weird. It had a drain on the floor and the sink was miniscule. I can't quite remember but I think you showered in the whole room toilet and all. I just remember that at 17 I thought it was the weirdest bathroom ever. Since you guys are in a larger room, I'd like to see the difference. If not, that's cool. Just another weird request from your neice.
PS. I forgot to thank you for the great blog and keeping up with this. Now you have record of your amazing vacation day by day. And thank you for the pictures of the food. I LOVE QUAIL! Yummy!!!
Your pictures were wonderful! I know you are having such a great time.I am so sorry I missed your call yesterday. I hope you will call again when you can. Love, Mom
Janine - your not weird I want to see some pictures of the bathroom and the room. Since I have never been on a boat...well I did go on the Love Boat as child every Thursday evening...anyway...take some of the ship and so forth! Loving the blog! I check it four & five times a day for updates! The Lighthouse is so cool!! I am excited about Boston today. Eat some beans and drink some tea for me! Mom & Dad are enjoying it too!
Great pictures! I am enjoying traveling with you, even if it is only in my dreams. Love, De
Linda, I love that my best friend is smart and funny and blonde!!! I laughed so hard about you forgetting you shoes again that I was crying!!!! Thank you!!! I needed that! I promise to ask you if you have your dress shoes next trip! What are fiends for??? Remind me to tell you Ken's blonde joke when you get home! Your photo's are fantastic! Love ya, Cheryl
Post a Comment