Monday, June 15, 2009

Day Trip to Lubbock

Today started out really early as my niece Hester had asked if Kevin and I wanted to go with her to Lubbock for her doctor's appointment. Since we were going to have Hester, Blake Ethan, and Tzipi we decided we better take the mini-van. Then at the last minute Mallory decided to join us so we had a car full. By the time we got everyone rounded up and buckled in we were on the road by about 9:30. When we first got to Lubbock we called my sister Darla to see if she wanted to join us for lunch, but since no one had remembered to call and tell her what time we had left, she was not ready so we just went on without her. We at at Souper Salad. I love that place and wish we had one here, but it's only wishful thinking I guess. After lunch we went over to Darla's house to leave all the kids to play while Kevin, Hester and I went to the doctor. In the meantime, my sister De called and said she and her two girls were also in Lubbock and wanted to try to meet up. The doctor's visit was basically a waste of time as there was a snafu and all of the test results were not received so he just changed some of Hester's prescriptions and said he would call her tomorrow. We left and went back to Darla's to retrieve the kids and then decided we would go to K-Mart since we don't have one of those either. De had called again and said they were at Target but would come meet us at K-Mart. We finally did connect for a little while. De and Kamille have been going on and on about these new, really comfy flip-flops and that I really needed some. Problem is I have to wear children's size shoes. De had called around and there was one place in Lubbock that sold them in children's sizes. After we paid out at K-Mart we all loaded and headed for the store that sold the flip-flops. They are called YellowBox and they are really cute and they are comfy. I decided on two pairs. It was kind of disappointing as there were five choices of childrens shoes and about fifty for women. If you are in the market for some cute and comfy sandals I would suggest trying to find a store near you that sells them. Here are the two pairs I got. Aren't they cute? I can't wait to wear them.















At this point we separated from De and her girls and headed back to my sister Darla's. We stayed for a little while and then loaded up to head back to Amarillo. We all decided we were hungry and thirsty and would eat before we left Lubbock. We finally decided on Lin's Grand Buffet. We do have one in Amarillo but have never eaten there. I have a major aversion to buffets, but decided I would sacrafice for the group today. Our first shock was the price, $10 each. I guess if you really eat a lot that might be cheap, but I never go back for seconds and we had three kids with us. We had all gone to the various buffet lines when Hester said, "Hey, come look at this." This is what she was pointing out.










We all thought they were pretty gross. It's octopus in case you can't tell. Whole, squiggly, wiggly, head, tenticles, suckers and all. None of us even considered getting some, but of course Kevin thought it was funny. He brought back his plate with some rice, veggies and two octopus. All the kids were making faces and noises, really grossing out. Hester too. I said, "You shouldn't have gotten those if you aren't going to eat them. You shouldn't waste them." To which he replied, "Oh, I'm going to eat them." Then he forked one and put the whole thing in his mouth in one bite. That really got everyone going. I then told the kids, "Will you eat a leg for $10?" Mallory said, "Try $100!" I said, "I'll eat a leg." So I cut off a tenticle and ate it. They all started asking, "What does it taste like?" Which Kevin and I both said, "No taste, just chewie." We had a good laugh and even one point, Ethan was just about to stick his fork in one and Kevin made some noise. Ethan jumped about a foot back. We all cracked up. Then someone got the bright idea we should bring some home to continue to tease those less fortunate that didn't get to go with us. Kevin asked for a cup with a lid and therefore we brought two home with us. We showed them to Lavonna and Brice first. Brice was going to try one, but since it had been in the car with us for two hours he decided he better not. After Kevin and I got home we decided to see what the animals thought about octopus.
We actually gave Simon the first bite, but Papi jumped right in and took it away. I don't think he ever ate it. Just kept chewing and chewing.











Next we gave Athena one. She just licked it several times and then decided octopus was not for her either.












Next we decided to try the other dogs and guess what? They ate every bit of it, squiggles and all. Does that mean cats are smarter than dogs, or just that our dogs trust us enough to eat disgusting stuff?

Finally the last story from today. After our meal at Lin's they brought out fortune cookies. Hester opened her's and read it. She then threw it down and said, "That's a crappy fortune." To which I said, "Gee thanks." As I was sitting next to her. Her fortune said, "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you."
Kevin then opened his cookie and read his fortune. It too said, "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you." We really cracked up as I was sitting between them.
Just so you won't think I did a little PhotoShop magic, here is a picture with both fortunes. I guess if you are looking for happiness, just sit next to me. It's a nice thought anyway.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Tina said...

Love it!
The flip-flops are so cute! Judy's Card Shop sells the YellowBox Flip-Flops. Where you have the problem of shoes being small enough...I can not get then big enough! A friend suggested YellowBox - she said they are very comfortable but I can't find pair for my HUGE foot...thanks John!
Lin's has the same thing here...we went ONCE but somebody has shared their dislike in buffets and that has me avoiding them now! When we went to Lin's Randy and I went to the buffet at the same time...when he came back to the table he said "I don't know what is stranger...them having enchiladas on a chinese buffet or people actually eating them"...then he looked at my plate - I was eating them!!!
Glad you had fun! Great blog!

I would have loved to be there! Such fun!

Post a Comment