Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom-isms


One last tribute to moms. I was thinking about all the things mom used to say and thought I'd walk down memory lane and list a few I could think of. Feel free to comment and add the goodies your mom used to tell you.

A little 'birdy' told me.

A little soap and water never killed anybody.

Always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident.

You are not going out of the house dressed like that!

Because I said so!

Beds are NOT made for jumping.

Close the door! You don't live in a barn.

Did you flush?

Did you wash your hands?

I'm not made of money.

Money doesn't grow on trees you know.

Don't cross your eyes, they might freeze that way.

Don't run with scissors.

Don't go out with wet hair, you'll catch a cold.

Don't pick that scab, it'll get infected.

Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been.

Don't run with that sucker in your mouth.

Clean your plate.

Don't sit so close to the t.v., it'll ruin your eyes.

Go play outside! It's a beautiful day.

I can always tell when you are lying.

I don't care who started it!

If I've told you once . . I've told you a thousand times.

I just want what's best for you.

If God had wanted you to have holes in your ears, He would have put them there!

If you don't stop crying, I'm going to give you something to cry about.

Don't make me stop this car.

If it were a snake, it would have bitten you on the nose.

If you're too sick to go to church you're too sick to do anything else.

Life isn't fair.

Never try on anyone else's glasses or you'll go blind.

Pick that up before someone trips and breaks their neck.

This hurts me worse than it hurts you.

Don't talk with food in your mouth.

Turn that racket off!

When I was your age . . .

When you have kids of your own, then you'll understand.

Well if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you too?

Who ever said life was easy.

When you have your own house then you can make the rules!

You couldn't be hungry! We just ate!

You WILL eat it!

You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached.

Better watch out! You're going to put your eye out with that thing.

You won't be happy until you break that.

You'll understand when you get older.

There are starving people in Africa that would love to have your plate of food.

I don't know! is not an answer.



And now since I am an adult I do understand and continue to use the momisms on the next generation. Mom's everywhere, we love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, here's another one. "You didn't learn that from me!" I enjoyed reading all of those. Love, Mom

Post a Comment