Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Family Photo


Today's photo is one of my mom. I believe she is about fifteen or sixteen. I always loved this photo and think there is a lost elegance in today's style. You can obviously tell she took pride in her couture. Hair perfect, lipstick just so, pearls in place etc. I owe a lot to my mom. She is the pillar of our family. She was the disciplinarian and we knew she meant business. We like to tell stories on how she would lock us out of the house so she could take a nap. Now, as an adult I know why she locked us out, it was the only way to get peace and quiet. I always tell her she would go to jail these days for locking the kids out of the house. Mom made lots of sacrifices for us girls. We never had much money but we always had food on the table and clothes to wear. She sewed a lot of our clothes even though she hates sewing. My Christian heritage and love for Jesus is something instilled by mother. We went to church every time the doors were opened and if we tried to play 'sick' or even if we were sick, if you didn't go to church you didn't do anything else either. My love for music also comes from mom. She started teaching me how to play the piano about the time I was five and had me singing at church with my sister Darla by the time I was three. There was always the sound of hymns coming from the living room piano. Another one of my character traits formed by my mother is my work ethic. She always taught us to do our best, complete the job, get it done before it was due and no grumbling. She taught me how to cook, clean, sew, make a bed, iron, change diapers, wash, dry and put away the dishes, sort the laundry, was the clothes on the right setting, wash the hand washables, fold the clothes and put them away and many more of the skills I have. One thing mom could always do is whip up a meal out of thin air. Sometimes the cabinets seemed really bare, but magically when it was time to eat there was a hot meal on the table. Mom also taught us girls to be compassionate to those less fortunate than us. She was always lending a helping hand and still does to this day. So in honor of Mother's Day, thanks mom for being the best mom to me. I owe you a lot and don't thank you near enough. I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Someone get me a tissue!!
What a great Mother you have....and beautiful! She looks elegant...as strange as this sounds I bet she smelled good! She looks so polished and put together. I LOVE to look at photos like this and wonder what it would be like to talk to her then...before her marraige, children, & life - you know what I mean...like in Field of Dreams. Could she imagine that she would have 4 girls...8 grandchildren...and now great-grandchildren! Your Mom is the type of Mother I want to be. I want John to look back when he is 50 and say those things about me. (actually I hope the Lord has come back by then!!) I love what you said about whipping up a meal...my Mom would do the same thing - those always seem to be the best! I think that's why I like to snap beans, make cornbread in a cast iron skillet, and always keep some bacon grease on hand - things seemed better back then. I want John to see and TASTE that way of life - does this make sense??
(I think my lavender calming lotion has gone to my head...I had to de-stress after telling Randy about our little event today!)
Anyway...Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mother!! You and I are blessed.

Anonymous said...

I just got around to reading your Mother's day blog. WHO WAS THAT WOMAN? The picture was of me, but I don't remember being all that you described. I really appreciate it all anyway! I loved all of you girls with all my heart and still do! I look forward to seeing each one of you when I get a chance or just talking on the phone. It makes life worth living. I am so proud of all of you and the fact that you all are such wonderful women! If I had anything to do with that it was because God directed me and I have been blessed every day because of you! Thanks for making Mother's Day so special! Love, Mom

Post a Comment