For today's photo I am taking my "blogger's" privilege and using the term 'family' very loosely. I guess in a way my school friends were my extended family. Since today is the last day of school for those here in the big city of Amarillo,
I thought I'd post about last year's last day and my last day of teaching. I must admit there are parts of teaching that I really miss, but not enough to think about going back, at least not yet. The first picture is of me and my two team mates. We had the best kindergarten team and we really worked so well together. I meet Janice twice a week to walk, but rarely get to see Lisa. The second picture is of me and Lisa. We had both been shedding a few tears, look at those red eyes. It was a bitter-sweet day. I was glad to be retiring, but sad in a way, sad to see my legacy ending. Every year I would say, "I am not going to cry the last day of school." But every year I would start to tear up first thing in the morning and every time my class would do something I'd think "This is the last time for this year." and start to tear up again. By the end of the day I was a mess. I always loved every ch
ild with everything I had to give and it was always hard letting them go. I can only imagine how parents feel when they have to let their children go, whether it's the first day of "Big School" or sending them off to college or sending them off to start their own adult life after marriage. Anyway, thanks for humoring me on this Friday Photo and a trip down memory lane for the last day of school. Congratulations teachers and students you made it through another year!
2 comments:
That was a sad day last year.
I am so glad you did retire to slow down & take care of yourself....WAIT...you have NOT slowed down!! Love you!
I was thinking about that bitter sweet feeling of the end of the school year Thursday, the last school day here in Lubbock. I worked at a school as the crossing guard. It was a half day.
As I watched the kids come pouring out of the building I saw some jumping and running wildly, screaming and whooping it up. Others were walking with parents, who were taking photos of the building in the background. Some were very quiet and some were crying softly.
I remember that I always cried on the last day of school until I was probably in the seventh grade.
I liked going to school. I liked the safety of the routine. I liked the structure.
As I watched the children leaving on Thursday I was a little teary eyed myself, even though I don't know a single child that I saw that day.
I wondered what the summer - and the future holds for them.
I began thinking that some would come back to the same school. Some will move on to Jr. High, or to a different school in a different town.
Some will have a happy summer, filled with fun and family. Others will be hungry at night because they did not get free lunch at school. Somee will be involved in accidents that might change their lives for a short time, or possibly for the remainder of their lives.
As I thought about the summer ahead of them I began to think of my own grandchildren and nieces and nephews.
I hope to be able to spend time with each one this summer, but know how busy each family is. I miss not seeing them more often and imagine that many grandparents are feeling the same way about now. Many are hoping to get the blessing of being with a special child if only for a little while.
Yes, the end of the school year is always bitter sweet for me. Sappy I suppose, but it's me.
Post a Comment