Saturday, April 4, 2009

Quilts, Manna Food and Movies

All week I had been seeing advertisements on t.v. for the quilt show in Dimmit. I know mom, Darla and Lavonna have been before, but I always had to work and was never able to attend. I had thought every time I saw the ad, "I really should call mom to see if she wants to meet me in Dimmint for the quilt show." but I would get busy and forget until I saw the ad again. Well, yesterday morning when I first woke up, I flipped on the t.v. and there was the ad again. I thought,"I'd better call mom." but waited until Kevin woke up to see what he thought about the idea. He was less than thrilled for some reason. In the meantime my niece had called and I told her about the idea. She said she would call mom to see if she wanted to meet her in Dimmit. Mom told her she hadn't planned on doing anything so probably not. I kept whining about it until Kevin finally gave in, so I called mom and she said okay, that we could meet in a couple of hours. We scurried around, got cleaned up and set out for Dimmit. I didn't even think about taking my camera. There have been a few issues lately about my new past time, so I put it away in the closet and really haven't thought about it in several weeks. So we get to Dimmit and decide we better eat lunch first. I called mom on her cell phone and we all met up at K-Bob's. Kevin and I were actually excited as we used to love to eat at K-Bob's here in Amarillo, but they all closed down several years ago. After lunch, we then went to the community center to view the quilts. Mom said, "Where's your camera?" The quilts were lovely and totally amazing! I love viewing them for the intricacies and the mathematical aspect of them. They have the quilt show every year and I would highly recommend you making plans to go next year.


Here are a few examples I got off the Internet.












































Literally whatever you can imagine was made into a quilt. Mom and I decided we would rather enjoy looking at the quilts instead of trying to make one.
Then on to Saturday. The Boy Scout troop that three of my nephews are members of, had placed Food Bank collection bags in the neighborhood and then we had the freak blizzard, so they postponed the pick up until today. I ended up keeping Tzippi so all the boys could go out, but since it had been almost two weeks most people had forgotten and they only collected a few bags of food. They were disappointed, but what can you do? No one can ever predict the weather in the Texas Panhandle! While all this was going on I got the call that the Manna Food was ready to be picked up. When I got to God of Wonders to pick up my order, whoever was supposed to be in charge, was obviously not there and no one knew what was going on. They didn't have a list of who ordered what and then to make matters worse they had been given the wrong Special Boxes. Of course we had ordered the Easter Box and the Microwave Box and got neither. They gave us two other boxes, but not sure what they were and if anyone would even eat the contents. I guess food is food. I finally just took them and met up with my nephew to unload them. Kevin and I had already decided to take all the kids to the movie to see Monsters vs. Aliens. It's always quite an ordeal getting all the kids situated, separating those that can't sit by each other, booster seats, snacks, napkins etc. The movie was in 3-D and was okay, but not great. All the boys enjoyed it but Tzippi took a little nap. I guess that's a girl thing as I know I almost always doze off during the movie as well as most other women in the family. Maybe it's because we are exhausted and the movie is the only place we actually get two hours of peace and quite. I forgot to say the wind was blowing so hard when we went in to the movie! It was totally crazy. When we got out of the movie cars were driving everywhere. We got up to the frontage road and cars were bumper to bumper. Come to find out the wind had been blowing in gusts up to 70 MPH and had blown over some trucks or cars on I-40 and they had closed the highway. I think I'm seeing a pattern here . . . highway closed last week for freak blizzard, now highway closed this week for freak wind storm. We got all the kids delivered back to their right homes and parents and were glad to get home and settle in for the night. I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings, and I thought I might be bored after I retire!

2 comments:

Tina said...

The wind was crazy today!! It sounds like yo had a GREAT day! Okay...I am loving your signature...you goota make me one...please...pretty please.

Tina said...

And yes...I am sorry I copy everything from you...but isn't that what little sisters are suppose to do???

Post a Comment