I know tomorrow is Family Photo Friday and I promise I will post, but it will probably be later in the afternoon, or early evening as I wanted to post this recipe. Most of you know that about a month ago I started going to a cardiologist, you can read about my stress test
here. His name is Dr.
Friesen. He is a very interesting man and was chief of cardiology at a hospital in Canada. Anyway, he put me on new medicine and gave me his recommended menu for cardiac patients. It really isn't bad, just an adjustment. The main thing is limiting refined carbohydrates including white flour and white flour products, sweets and fruits like grapes, melons, oranges, peaches etc. Surprisingly enough he allows 2 eggs a day, but they have to be boiled or poached. Meats are chicken, turkey and fish with limited beef. You are also allowed brown rice and plain baked potatoes. The biggest surprise of all is his recommendation of a Mediterranean Salad twice a week. I have been meaning to try it, but kept forgetting to buy the ingredients. Well, this week I finally remembered and fixed it for dinner tonight. I must say it was delicious. Kevin and I both loved it so much I decided to post about it so you can try it as well. I know we will have it twice a week and I am going to start keeping the ingredients on hand.
Here are the ingredients. You simply stir it all together and add the dressing, I used about an 1/8 of a cup. The recipe is for 4 servings, but I cut it down and made it for 2. The amount I used is in
parentheses.
Mediterranean Salad

Ingredients:
3 (1) zucchini squash, peeled and diced
3 (1) cucumbers peeled and diced
3 (1) Roma tomatoes chopped
1/2 (1/4) large red onion chopped in small bits
Feta cheese, one package ( I used a 1/2 pack for us)
Kalamata olives 5-10 per serving
1 (1/2)green pepper chopped
The dressing can be Kraft authentic Greek or Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar.
I used the Paul Newman's dressing.
If you get tired of leaf salad I would highly recommend giving this one a try.
2 comments:
looks yummy!
I have been eating a lot of raw zucchini lately. Will try this recipe but will have to leave out the olives. That is one thing I can't stand the taste of.
Post a Comment