Friday, March 27, 2009

Family Friday

I got this idea from another blog I saw the other day and thought I'd take the idea and adapt it to my own creation. The other blog had a really antique picture of someone in her family and the story behind it. Maybe some of my posts will be like that, but I'll have to get photos from mother. In the meantime, I will use photos I have and hopefully enlighten you with some of my family stories. For some of you reading this, the pictures will be antique enough as some are from the early 1940's. Since Amarillo is having one of our rare blizzards I thought I'd do some snowy pictures. First, I will post a photo of me and my older sister Darla. The date on the side of the photo says Feb. 1959. That means I would have been almost two years old, Darla would have been five. Lavonna and DeAnna were not even "thoughts" yet. We are standing out in our front yard of our home on Ninth Street in Littlefield. Each time it would snow we would beg mom to let us play out in the snow. We would finally wear her down and she would relent. We would get all bundled up and go out for maybe five or ten minutes and then be done. I know mom was probably irritated with us, but she always let us and it was fun. One of the other things mom always did for us on snowy days was to make Snow Ice cream. If you've never tried it, here is the recipe: 2 eggs, 2 cups of milk or cream, 1 tps. vanilla, 3/4 cup sugar and 6-8 cups of white, clean snow. (I usually get mine off the car or table, that way I know a critter hasn't been in it.) Mix all the ingredients except the snow. You can also leave out the eggs if you have an aversion to raw eggs. Stir in 2 cups of snow at a time. Mix to the consistency desired. Grab a spoon and enjoy!


Here are some photos I took today of the Blizzard of 2009. I opened the front door to go out in the yard and this is what I found! I couldn't even get the door open because of all the drifts.











Here is the view of the front door and porch after I went out the back and walked around to the front.






I took this photo standing in the driveway looking across the front yard. The big "globs" are snowflakes.




This shot was taken standing in the street looking back at the house. Again, notice the big snowflakes falling.




Here's looking down the street towards Avi and Janine's house. The visibility is much worse out on the interstate. Most of them have been closed all day. And it's still snowing!



And finally, my poor little plum tree in the front yard. It was in full bloom last week. I'm sure it is wondering what is going on as the temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's now for about two weeks. That's typical of the weather here in the Texas Panhandle. They always say, "If you don't like the weather, stick around a day or two." Truer words couldn't be spoken. By the way, we've received more than 11 inches of snow with drifts over 6 feet. Amazing huh? And to think we thought it was Spring!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Loved the pictures. How often would you get snow like that? Every year or only ever so often?

Linda said...

You never know around here, but the last time we had 21 inches of snow in one storm was several years ago. Usually we get a total of 15 -20 inches of snow for the season, but never this late. This was definitely a rarity. That's typical for the Texas Panhandle. It was 68 degrees the day before the blizzard! Crazy.

Post a Comment