
Today is my sister Darla's birthday. As I was thinking back on our years as sisters, I was reminded of our history. Yes, I know that's a weird thing to say, of course we have a history, but you sometimes forget all the little things that molded your personalities. I remember we played outside a lot. Another one of our favorite things to do was collect rocks and then crack them open with the hammer. We had free reign
in the neighborhood and would go off to play for hours. We often would ride our bikes pretty far from the house, but it never dawned on us as dangerous. I don't guess it really was as everyone in town knew us and our parents. They wouldn't have any hesitation to reprimanding us and then promptly phoning mom or dad. Those were definitely different times. Darla was definitely a rebel. I remember many times her packing mom's train case and running away from home. She never really went very far, but to me as a 3 or 4 year old I was always devastated. I remember standing on the curb crying and calling, "Darla come back!" She always did, but would always get mad at momma and pack her bags. Another memory is our duets. Mom would teach us songs starting when we were very young. I would usually stand on the piano bench with mom so I could be seen by the audience. Darla sang alto
and I always sang soprano. One song we sang so many times I'm sure we could probably sing it today was Down On My Knees. We went to church a lot. We went Sunday morning and evening, then on Mondays for WMU, Wednesday was prayer service, Thursday was visitation or GA's or RA's and lots of times in-between working on the church. What better place to grow up, right? One last memory was when someone, mom or grandma, decided we (me and Darla) should ride the train to Amherst. Now mind you it's only seven miles between the two towns and there is no other towns in between. Mom took us to the train station, bought our tickets and took us to help us get on the train. I'll never forget that horrible feeling when that train pulled out of the station and seeing momma shrinking in the background. I was so terrified we would somehow get lost and never see our family again. I think I cried the whole way. Mind you Darla is only three years older than me and
Lavonna was not born yet so our ages would have been in the range of 3-6. Can you imagine putting your children today on a bus, plane or train by themselves? I'm not even sure you could. I was never so ecstatic to see my grandparents waiting on the platform as the train pulled into the station in Amherst. The whole trip probably lasted 30 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. As a surprise, Kevin and I drove down to Lubbock to take Darla out to dinner. We had a nice time. So again, Happy Birthday Big Sis, I love you.
in the neighborhood and would go off to play for hours. We often would ride our bikes pretty far from the house, but it never dawned on us as dangerous. I don't guess it really was as everyone in town knew us and our parents. They wouldn't have any hesitation to reprimanding us and then promptly phoning mom or dad. Those were definitely different times. Darla was definitely a rebel. I remember many times her packing mom's train case and running away from home. She never really went very far, but to me as a 3 or 4 year old I was always devastated. I remember standing on the curb crying and calling, "Darla come back!" She always did, but would always get mad at momma and pack her bags. Another memory is our duets. Mom would teach us songs starting when we were very young. I would usually stand on the piano bench with mom so I could be seen by the audience. Darla sang alto
and I always sang soprano. One song we sang so many times I'm sure we could probably sing it today was Down On My Knees. We went to church a lot. We went Sunday morning and evening, then on Mondays for WMU, Wednesday was prayer service, Thursday was visitation or GA's or RA's and lots of times in-between working on the church. What better place to grow up, right? One last memory was when someone, mom or grandma, decided we (me and Darla) should ride the train to Amherst. Now mind you it's only seven miles between the two towns and there is no other towns in between. Mom took us to the train station, bought our tickets and took us to help us get on the train. I'll never forget that horrible feeling when that train pulled out of the station and seeing momma shrinking in the background. I was so terrified we would somehow get lost and never see our family again. I think I cried the whole way. Mind you Darla is only three years older than me and
3 comments:
That was so interesting to read. Times were certainly different then. I remember going on a long bus trip with my sister to visit my mother's friend at around the same time frame. I was about 12/13 and I remember thinking it funny that a person on the bus asked if I was my sister's mom. Of course that pleased me because I wanted to look older. Now I wish I looked younger! This was in Louisiana. Long way from Australia where I am now.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks Jen. I'm glad you related.
Good story.
Post a Comment