Today the sermon at church was about having a family Christian heritage. During the sermon I was reminded of my own Christian heritage. I am very thankful for that. One of the speakers had his family's Bible that dated into the early 1800's. I was wondering if anyone in my family ever had a Bible like that. I know in many cases the family Bible was the historical record of births, deaths, marriages etc. After church while we were at lunch Kevin and I were talking about the sermon. I asked Kevin if he remembered going to church with his grandparents that lived in Pampa. He said he remembered his grandparents going to church, but he didn't remember ever going with them. I then said, "Did your family have a family Bible?" Kevin said, "Yes, I remember having a big white one in the living room." I agreed, that we also had one on our coffee table. They were more of a decoration than an actual record of history. Then I remembered a funny story in our family about one Family Bible. My dad's sister and her family lived in Levelland. They had two boys, Richard and Terry Lynn. I don't remember their family being what you would call "religious" but they had a family Bible on the coffee table. It just so happened back in the 60's there were door to door Bible salesmen. One had stopped at my aunts house to try and sell them a Bible. While making his pitch to my aunt, he noticed the older family Bible on the coffee table with a noticeable hump in the pages. The salesman said to my aunt, "I'll bet that's a pressed rose from a special occasion." As he reached for the Bible to open it to the "pressed rose" he was shocked when he flipped it open and it was a spoonful of peanut butter! I think he said something like, "Oh, peanut butter. I didn't expect that." We never really knew who or why someone put a spoonful of peanut butter in the Bible, but I think Terry Lynn got the blame. Needless to say those are the kinds of stories and moments that were not that rare in the life of the Sandersons. We didn't have a lot of money, but we always had a lot of laughs.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Family Bible
Today the sermon at church was about having a family Christian heritage. During the sermon I was reminded of my own Christian heritage. I am very thankful for that. One of the speakers had his family's Bible that dated into the early 1800's. I was wondering if anyone in my family ever had a Bible like that. I know in many cases the family Bible was the historical record of births, deaths, marriages etc. After church while we were at lunch Kevin and I were talking about the sermon. I asked Kevin if he remembered going to church with his grandparents that lived in Pampa. He said he remembered his grandparents going to church, but he didn't remember ever going with them. I then said, "Did your family have a family Bible?" Kevin said, "Yes, I remember having a big white one in the living room." I agreed, that we also had one on our coffee table. They were more of a decoration than an actual record of history. Then I remembered a funny story in our family about one Family Bible. My dad's sister and her family lived in Levelland. They had two boys, Richard and Terry Lynn. I don't remember their family being what you would call "religious" but they had a family Bible on the coffee table. It just so happened back in the 60's there were door to door Bible salesmen. One had stopped at my aunts house to try and sell them a Bible. While making his pitch to my aunt, he noticed the older family Bible on the coffee table with a noticeable hump in the pages. The salesman said to my aunt, "I'll bet that's a pressed rose from a special occasion." As he reached for the Bible to open it to the "pressed rose" he was shocked when he flipped it open and it was a spoonful of peanut butter! I think he said something like, "Oh, peanut butter. I didn't expect that." We never really knew who or why someone put a spoonful of peanut butter in the Bible, but I think Terry Lynn got the blame. Needless to say those are the kinds of stories and moments that were not that rare in the life of the Sandersons. We didn't have a lot of money, but we always had a lot of laughs.
1 comment:
That's funny! We had a family Bible too. With all the family record and pressed roses! It belonged to my daddy's mom. I also have several family bibles that I have got from garage sales...they people gave them too me...they said they just didn't want them - which completely shocks me!
Post a Comment