Thursday, March 20, 2008
Home again!!!
We finally made it home and boy is it good to be home. Carl insisted on going with us to the airport so we wouldn't have to wait on the shuttle at Hertz. I only thought our ride the first day was harrowing. Today's ride was beyond harrowing, do you remember watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles, when John Candy fell asleep driving and woke up going between two trucks? He got so scared he flashed into a skeleton, well that was as scary as our ride. We did not go between two trucks, but did almost rear-end a car that was stopped at a red light. We were going about 50, but that wasn't the worst part. Carl made a wrong turn and got on one of the highways, that was jammed with traffic as it was about 4:00. He actually thought he was in a lane, but was on the shoulder. He was just flying by all the traffic going at a snails pace. He kept saying we will get off at the next exit. I think he thought it was an entrance/exit ramp. I just kept praying that there wouldn't be a stalled car on the shoulder and that we would quickly come to a real exit. However, as fate would have it, I saw a car pulled over on the shoulder and Carl was bearing down. I started screaming, "There's a car stopped in front of us!!!!" At the last second, Carl jerked the car into the real right lane. I can't believe we didn't hit anyone and then just darted around the stalled car. Then a F-10 truck that was ticked off at him, just whipped right in front of us, causing Carl to again jerk back onto the shoulder. We finally got off the highway and proceeded to the airport. Carl actually missed the ramp to go up to departures, but I was so thankful to get anywhere close to the airport and out of that car, I insisted on him pulling over and letting us out. I was so shaken up, I thought I was going to be sick. I still just keep playing it over and over in my head. We definitely have some thankful prayers tonight. It is a miracle we were not killed, several times over. I called Linda about an hour later to check to see if Carl had made it safely back to their house and he had not. I told her what all had happend and she said she would call him on his cell phone to see if she could track him down. She called back just as we were boarding the plane and said he had just pulled into the garage. She called and left me a voice mail while we were in the air and said Carl had told her it was not that bad, that he had just made a couple of wrong turns. I don't know if he doesn't know how bad it was or he just doesn't want to admit that he should NOT be driving. I know I will never ride with him again. So, again, I say, "Home at last, thank God I am home at last!"
No comments:
Post a Comment