Saturday, May 7, 2011


Goodbye Athena

Well, today was a sad day. We had taken Athena to the vet twice this week and she was only getting weaker. She would barely lap a couple laps of cream and watered-down baby food. Then she would start clawing at her mouth and I could hear her teeth grinding against each other. We felt like she would get better, but she was not. She was starving to death before our eyes. So we made the decision to put her down today. We have been through this with other pets, but today's experience was the worst. First the doctor had a very hard time finding a good vein and then when he finally did get the needle in and started the injection, Athena let out the most mournful yowl I have ever heard. She then jerked her leg and the needle came out. Dr.Yarbrough had barely gotten any of the medicine in, but it was enough, but not for a quick euthanasia. It was excruciating standing there watching her gasp for breath. They said she was sedated and didn't know what was going on, but it was terrible. Kevin and I were both very upset. It was hard enough saying goodbye, but then for it to be so horrible, was just awful. I know we made the right decision as she was definitely suffering, but it was not an easy one for sure.

I took this photo today. Athena had gone to the door and was laying in her favorite spot under the lilac bush.


She was a great cat and we will miss her, but she is now at peace. We had her for sixteen years and she had a very good life, but there is definitely a hole in our family tonight. Goodbye Athena, we're going to miss you.

blue leelee

No comments:

Post a Comment