Friday, January 21, 2011

Mini Breakfast Quiche

The other day after Tina and Christina came home from the hospital I told Tina I wanted to cook a meal for them and asked her what she would like. She immediately said, “I have been craving those little egg things you made at Christmas. Can you make those?” So it was determined I would cook breakfast for them. I knew a few people had already taken food over for them so Monday night when Kevin and I were at the store I got the things to make the mini quiches on Wednesday morning. I knew I would not have time on Tuesday so told Tina I would bring them breakfast on Wednesday. You all know how I am NOT a morning person, but a night owl (check the time this blog post was published). But I had already committed, so I set my alarm for 7:30. Oh how I hate saying that. It has been so nice not having to set my alarm since I retired. I get up when I wake up  . . .but I’m bird walking. So I got up at 7:30 to get started on cooking breakfast. I got the idea from this cookbook I got for free yes you read that right, free, back in November. I bought the required cream cheese just to get the cookbook, for this specific recipe. Although I must confess I have never made the recipe in the book, just used the idea.
 IMG_1168
You see what caught my eye was actually the crust. When I first saw the photo I thought, “What is that for the crust? It must be filo dough.” Boy was I surprised when I found out it was just ordinary sliced bread. Another reason I didn’t follow the recipe is it called for tomatoes and squash and I knew (for Christmas brunch) that most of the people there would definitely turn their noses up at those two ingredients. So I decided to adapt the recipe for pepper, onion, meat and cheese quiche.
IMG_1170
If you are interested in the original recipe and can’t read it from the photo, comment that you would like a copy and I’ll email it to you or maybe post it on the printable format too.
So here is how I made my mini quiches.
The ingredients you will need are:
3 eggs
12 slices of bread
1/2 tub of cream cheese
1/4 C. half and half
1/4 C. shredded cheese, your preference
2 T. olive oil
1/2 C. chopped onions
1/2 C. diced peppers
1 patty of sausage, cooked
4 strips of bacon, cooked
salt and pepper
vegetable spray

Directions:
Sauté the onions and peppers in the olive oil until soft.
IMG_1153

Crack the eggs into your mixing bowl and whisk.
IMG_1154
Next  you will need to prepare the bread.
IMG_1155

Flatten the bread with a rolling pin.
IMG_1157

I used a glass to cut around to trim off the crust, but a biscuit cutter would probably work great. The first time I made them I just cut the crust and left it square, but the points of the square were sticking up and kind of burned so I decided I would try round this time and it worked much better.
IMG_1158

Lightly spray your muffin tins with cooking spray and then gently press the bread into the tins.
IMG_1160


IMG_1161
Now your are ready to finish the egg mixture. Add the sautéed vegetables to the eggs and both kinds of cheese. Mix well.
At this point I separate the egg mixture so I can make some with sausage and some with bacon, but you can skip this step if you want them all the same.
IMG_1164

We use microwaveable sausage and bacon, but you can use traditional too. Just cook before adding to the egg mixture. Crumble the meat into the eggs and stir. It also says to add salt and pepper, but I always forget.
IMG_1165

Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins and put in the oven to bake.
IMG_1166

This is how they look when cooked. They are just the right size for about two bites and are so easy to make. Try making your own version and let me know how it turns out.
IMG_1167

Go here for the printer friendly version. Leave me a comment if you like having a printable version. I hope you use it.


I already had a request to make my Hearty Beef Stew from the last post again today. As I was making it I realized I did NOT make the gravy according to package directions so I have updated that recipe. If you printed it and would like the edited version go here.

4 comments:

Jen said...

The bread trick is good. I used the same method with some bread slices wrapped around some lightly pre-cooked asparagus. Spread the outside of the bread with butter and cooked in oven until browned, Made a nice finger food appetizer. I am going to try this recipe one day.

Tina said...

These were WONDERFUL!!! We did not even "set" the table...we munched quickly - thanks for making step by step instructions! We will havethese again

WARNING: Anyone who is "thinking" about making Leelee Beef Stew - all I can say is WOW!! She made some for us last night and it was incredible!! EVEN Randy who is so VERY picky LOVED IT! AWESOME!! Maybe Leelee will always make a little extra every now and then! Oh Hestee...you won't like it don't even try it...and you won't like it either Lavonna....you better let me take "this one for the team!" ha..ha..ha

De said...

I printed both recipes, can't wait to try them. They sound great! Thank for sharing.

Darla said...

I never had thought about using bread for something like this. I always think it would require filo dough, or some other kind of dough. I'm going to try these sometime. Sounds delicious.

Post a Comment