Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pickin' Vegetables

About a week ago I received an email from Welcome Pardner. It's a community organization (I know this will surprise some of you) but I taught the daughter of the lady that runs it. Anyway, in the email there was a notice that on October 26th a local organic garden was asking the community to come help harvest the produce for the Food Bank. Our pay was taking home some fresh produce. I forwarded the email to friends and family here in town. Everyone was interested, but most had other obligations so it ended up only me, H*ster, D*niel, Sh*ilee, Ak*li and Br*den went. It really was a lot of fun and the kids had a blast. Br*den even decided he might be a farmer when he grows up. Most of the produce was already out of season, but there were many varieties of peppers and lots of tomatoes. As we were picking, it reminded me of the time Grandma and Grandpa Enloe took me and D*rla to pick potatoes in Dimmit. I still remember that day and thought to myself, how the kids would hopefully remember our picking experience. H*ster and D*niel talked to some man there and he said the garden was a government program and they were a little unorganized this year, but hoped to do it again next year and have even more produce for the homeless and Food Bank. Here are the photos.


Ak*li and H*ster dumping the peppers they had picked into the bucket.



Br*den was so proud of the flat of peppers he picked. He kept saying, "They smell  so good." He was so excited about his peppers he took them to school on Wednesday and was handing them out.


I just loved this photo.  Maybe this is a "peck of peppers."

Sh*ilee helping her daddy pick peppers.






Ak*li showing off a good one she picked.

Br*den said he was a "mini-velociraptor."
As you can see there were many members of the community out picking vegetables.

See the orange bag by H*ster. She had filled it completely full and a guy came by and said, "I'll take those." and just dumped them into another container and just put them on a truck. You should have seen H*ster's face. She was insensed that he took her peppers. I reminded her we were there for the Food Bank. We ended up coming home with plenty.


And the tomatoes were great. It so reminded me of picking tomatoes out of Grandma's garden. Most of them were full sized not cherry tomaotes. I came home with about ten. I would have gotten more, but I knew they would go bad before we could eat them. They sure taste yummy fresh off the vine.


This was the last photo I took. The sun was setting as you can tell by the pink cast on the photo. 

All in all it was a great time for everyone and we had such a blast.
blue leelee

1 comment:

Darla said...

It looks like everyone worked very hard - and probably had some fun in the process. To know that you have helped someone who doesn't have enough to eat is a special blessing.

Post a Comment