A couple of weeks back Kevin and I noticed some of our trees in the backyard were growing out of control and getting dangerously close to the highline wires leading to our house. Kevin said he would just borrow Randy’s tree trimmer and do it himself. To which I promptly replied, “Are you crazy? There is no way I’m going for that!” So I placed a call to
Amarillo Arborlogical. We had used them before to trim our big trees out front and as a matter of fact they have been out twice already spraying our trees for bugs and worms, but that’s another post. I guess you noticed we didn’t have plums and now you know why. So I made an appointment for them to come out. We have really been enjoying our patio this summer as the trees had made a complete canopy over it so it was shaded all day. I had no idea how much of our trees they would cut back. According to
Wikipedia Arboriculture (pronounced
/ˈɑrbərɨkʌltʃər/), is the cultivation, management, and study of individual
trees,
shrubs,
vines, and other
perennial woody plants. It is both a practice and a science. It looks like a lot of fun to me. I used to love to climb trees when I was a young girl. We had a huge willow tree in our front yard and I loved climbing way up in the top and hiding among the branches and feeling the breeze as it swept through the willows. So watching the arborists was a lot of fun. We pulled out the lawn chairs and just watched them work. They use ropes and pulleys and swing from branch to branch to do their magic. Here are the photos I took.
I don’t know if you can tell or not, but he was about thirty feet up in the tree. They are always harnessed in for safety, but I’m sure it is still dangerous. Notice the hard hat as well.
Here’s the other guy that was up in the trees. He was standing on neighbor’s garage roof. Can you see how entwined the branches are with the wires? Now you see the problem.
Back to guy one, it was fun to watch them swing from branch to branch. I wanted to try.
Papi was the only dog out in the yard and he wasn’t sure what to think of all the commotion. The hair on his neck kept bristling up. He didn’t bark though, but he sure stayed close to Kevin and I.
Guy one had come down and little and was taking a break, maybe assessing where to cut next. That branch he is standing on is now gone.
Guy two now harnessed up in the tree and swinging from branch to branch. It was so awesome to watch.
Guy one, almost done and getting ready to come down, but still needs a little more trimming on that branch he is standing on. He would cut off a big piece and then lower it down to the guy on the ground. The branches they were cutting off were as large as some trees in the new housing developments.
Guy two, coming down.
How do the trees look all trimmed up you ask? Kind of naked and bare, but we are getting used to it. We still have a nice shaded patio, but not completely all day like before.


4 comments:
Wow! That was quite a venture for those men. I'm glad Kevin didn't undertake that job. I would hate to lose him! The foliage will grow back anyway. Your backyard is very pretty anyway. Love, Mom
You are right, it does look fun, but is actually very dangerous. We occasionally have a death here from people trimming their palm trees themselves and falling.
I always cringe when Terry cuts the huge mesquite we have in the back yard, but he knows what he is doing and it always looks better afterwards and is good for the health of the tree. Cool pictures! Sue
It is AWFUL when the tree guys come to trim the trees at our casa! If Randy had it his way he would never cut the tree limbs back - but you have too!! The few times we have had it done Randy watches - not for enjoyment but to yell and ask WHY they are cutting THAT branch! I just stay inside! Your tress look great! It will keep them healthy and even better next summer. Plus with Winter coming I think it's VERY smart to trim now instead of the ice trimming them for you! Great pictures! THANKS for the MEMORY!
Wow! Your trees are naked! I know it's necessary and will help with winter, but wowza!
Post a Comment