About a month ago I found Bakerella’s blog and fell in love with Cake Pops. I decided right then I wanted to try and make some but of course knowing me I couldn’t start out with just plain, dipped, simple ones. Oh, no! I wanted to start with the decorated ones and since Easter is this weekend I decided to invite over a few friends for a girls night in to make Cake Pops. They could also be used for Spring Cake Pops as we were going to make bunnies, chicks, sheep and eggs. I emailed out the invitations and got back seven replies that they would be coming. We got all the kids situated somewhere else so it could just be the “girls.” Good thing we didn’t have kids as the kitchen was a complete mess and lots of spills from us “big” kids. We had so much fun and laughed until our sides ached. We learned quickly that I should have frozen the cake balls to help keep them on the sticks. They were so soft and mushy that as soon as you put the stick in and then dipped it in the candy melt, the cake ball would just start breaking in half and sliding down the stick. Of course we didn't start with the easy one, the chick, oh no, we started with the sheep. Just let me say, "Goodness gracious!" It was so-o-o-o difficult. I think we only completed four sheep in the whole four hours we were working on them. They are definitely the cutest ones but also the most complicated. We also learned that none of us should give up our day jobs anytime soon. Everybody just ate their first couple of tries since they were such disasters. I finally got a bunny made but no one else was having any luck. We decided to put all the cake balls in the freezer and go watch last weeks episode of Project Runway and hopefully they would have time to harden. It did help but you still had to be very patient and wait between steps for it to dry or otherwise it would slide right down the stick. Cheryl kept us all laughing and was the most challenged. She finally did get the hang of it after a couple of hours. She made one that looked just like Jeff Dunham's muppet Walter. We laughed and laughed over that one. I'm not sure which one she was trying to make, but it ended up looking like a little bald head, so we deemed it Walter and told her to give it to Ken. In spite of everything I think we all had a great time and from what I’ve heard today the Cake Pops were a huge success with the families once everyone returned home with their basket of goodies.Here are some pictures from the evening.
The cake, after it was baked and cooled, then crumbled in a large mixing bowl. Next add 1/2 can of icing and mush together with your hands. This is the part I didn’t like as I don’t like icky sticky.
This is some of the decorations. I tried to get everything ready before hand to save on time.
J*nine working on a creation. ( I think she said it was a panda bear.) She was a real trooper. She didn’t feel well at all but came any way. I hope she had fun.
H*ster and L*vonna. Look at the level of intensity and concentration!
Everyone working away. That’s Cheryl next to J*nine. I of course am behind the camera.
I set up my camera and tri-pod so I could at least be in one photo to prove I really was there.
The goodie baskets. I wish I would have thought about taking a picture before L*vonna and J*nine had left. They all looked so cute. I got the baskets at the Dollar Tree and put styro-foam blocks in them to stick the Cake Pops in. That way everyone would have a way to transport their goodies home.
A closer look at mine and H*ster’s basket of Cake Pops.
They didn’t turn out too badly, but even if they did the fun time we had was so worth it. I think it was just what everyone needed. Just a good ‘ole fashioned girls night with lots of chatter and giggling.
5 comments:
I am so sorry I missed the fun! If it wasn't for the swing set and Doxy-Drama I would have been there!!! The pops LOOK great! And YUMMY!
That sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you girls got together for the project. The cake pops look really good, too! You all are very creative. Love, Mom
Wish I could have been there. They turned out really cute, but I am sure they were difficult. Good job! Sue
I was the most challenged! That was a nice way to put it!LOL! Part of my problem was impatience! I wanted to get to the fun part of decorating! But, since decorating cakes has never been my strong suit, I was challenged! But, I laughed so much, that my cheeks hurt on my face, when I got home! Thanks Linda for a fun & creative evening! Maybe the next project will be something I can excel at! But, I still had a blast! I may have to save mine until I can show my girls!ha! Happy Easter! Cheryl
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39447108&ref=sr_gallery_12&&ga_search_query=pig+party&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=5&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
These aren't as cute as ours were, but if you didn't want to do the whole body, just the head is pretty cute too.
Post a Comment