I can't believe it is really the year 2010! That seems so incredible. Kevin and I often joke each New Year about the time Daddy kept saying incredulously, "I can't believe it's 1980!" Well, now that seems like ancient memories, several decades later. Yet here we are ushering in a new decade. I stopped making New Years Resolutions a long time ago, as usually by the first week in February, they were all broken or nonexistent. However, a few years ago I came across an idea I do try each year. Instead of making resolutions it's more like a goals list or "to do" list for the year. I sit down and think of all the things I would like to accomplish and then write them down on a paper. I title the list by the year. The things on the list could be anything from painting a room in your house to cleaning out the coat closet, losing ten pounds, going to bed earlier etc. I usually have about twenty things on my list. Then you fold the list up, seal it in an envelop, write the year on the front of the envelop and store it away. I usually put mine in with my Christmas card list or Christmas decorations, that way I will come back across it at the end of the year. I am always amazed at how much I do get done off my List. I usually even forget about the list, but am happy to find it at the end of the year and check on myself. This past year, one of the things I had on my list was to read the whole Bible. Last year when I did this post on New Year's Day, I was sad to admit that I had never read the Bible cover to cover. I decided right then and there that was going on my list. I have read many books over the years, but never the whole Bible. Well, I am happy to say I finished reading Revelations last night, right on schedule. I even took my Bible with us to Canada to keep on track. I thoroughly enjoyed it so much I have decided to get a different version and start again this year. If you have not read the complete Bible I challenge you to do so. It is an amazing book, cover to cover. I would also encourage you to make a list of things you would like to accomplish this year. You don't have to tell a soul, just do it for yourself. I'm making my list tonight.Friday, January 1, 2010
Reflecting on the Old and Ringing in the New
I can't believe it is really the year 2010! That seems so incredible. Kevin and I often joke each New Year about the time Daddy kept saying incredulously, "I can't believe it's 1980!" Well, now that seems like ancient memories, several decades later. Yet here we are ushering in a new decade. I stopped making New Years Resolutions a long time ago, as usually by the first week in February, they were all broken or nonexistent. However, a few years ago I came across an idea I do try each year. Instead of making resolutions it's more like a goals list or "to do" list for the year. I sit down and think of all the things I would like to accomplish and then write them down on a paper. I title the list by the year. The things on the list could be anything from painting a room in your house to cleaning out the coat closet, losing ten pounds, going to bed earlier etc. I usually have about twenty things on my list. Then you fold the list up, seal it in an envelop, write the year on the front of the envelop and store it away. I usually put mine in with my Christmas card list or Christmas decorations, that way I will come back across it at the end of the year. I am always amazed at how much I do get done off my List. I usually even forget about the list, but am happy to find it at the end of the year and check on myself. This past year, one of the things I had on my list was to read the whole Bible. Last year when I did this post on New Year's Day, I was sad to admit that I had never read the Bible cover to cover. I decided right then and there that was going on my list. I have read many books over the years, but never the whole Bible. Well, I am happy to say I finished reading Revelations last night, right on schedule. I even took my Bible with us to Canada to keep on track. I thoroughly enjoyed it so much I have decided to get a different version and start again this year. If you have not read the complete Bible I challenge you to do so. It is an amazing book, cover to cover. I would also encourage you to make a list of things you would like to accomplish this year. You don't have to tell a soul, just do it for yourself. I'm making my list tonight.
1 comment:
That's a great idea! After I retired I was thinking the same thing about the Bible. I had been in church and Bible studies all my life, but wondered if I had really read the whole thing. I then started by reading one chapter a day. It takes about three years that way. Then I read another version, and started again, so I have at least read it three times. Its amazing, though, that I will still read something and think to myself that I don't remember reading that.There is a lot of things to learn from reading the Bible. Love, Mom
Post a Comment