Monday, June 22, 2009

You Might Be an Amarilloan if . . .

First of all, I must give credit where credit is due. . . I got this list from an article written by Jon Mark Beilue. He was the speaker a couple of months back at our CWC luncheon. Lavonna and I decided he was our long, lost brother. He really grew up in Groom, Texas, but had a very similar upbringing to ours. He talked about being eighteen before he saw the ending of The Wizard of Oz. Boy can I relate, I think I was at college when I finally saw the ending. Just as Jon Mark, we always had to leave for church before the ending and this was in the days before VCR's so you had a once a year shot at watching it. Anyway, I love reading his column and I thought this one was great and give me a chuckle or two. So here it is:

You Might Be an Amarilloan if . . .
1. Family visits from out of town during the summer, and they are automatically taken to see "Texas"
2. The wind is blowing 30 mph, and you would call it a soothing breeze.
3. You're not surprised when you see a car or truck with longhorns attached to the front end.
4. You have in your cup holder a large soft drink from Toot'n Totum.
5. You drive an SUV, a Ford or Chevy truck. And your second vehicle is an SUV, a Ford or Chevy truck.
6. You stay loyal to the local Donut Stop, which helped close down fancy-schmancy Krispy Kreme.
7. You consider a 240-mile, round-trip drive as simply a reason for getting out of the house for a bit.
8. A visitor marvels at the expansive orange-tinged sunset, and you say, "Oh yeah, that. We get that about six times a week."
9. You don't need an explanation as to what the "Sandies" and "Dons" are.
10. You've learned to live with your TV screen covered with weather alerts and maps from April through June.
11. You complain about the feed-lot smell and then wait for the inevitable "it smells like money" reply.
12. You consider "art" to be a rusty, painted sign planted in a front yard.
13. You know that K&N Root Beer still has car hops and made-from-scratch root beer.
14. You consider anything that Stanley Marsh is known for as remotely normal.
15. You've ever had to explain to your friend who's coming to Texas that no, "meeting you for lunch in San Antonio" is not really an option.
16. You consider plutonium to be a good thing.
17. You've ever slowed down to let a tumbleweed pass across the road.
18. You see a million stars at night from your patio.
19. You think one of the major food groups is enchiladas.
20. You know the Cadillac Ranch is really no ranch at all.


Feel free to add your own Amarilloan comment. I love living here!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Janine said...

Yeah! I must be an Amarilloan! I've done quite a few of those! I especially liked 2, 6, and 15! Too funny~

Tina said...

I read this yesterday and loved it!
Thanks for posting it!

Post a Comment