Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Home Tour

Well, the tour came and is over. I think it was success, at least by Littlefield standards. The weather was especially terrible. That is one thing I do not miss, the sand storms. If you have never been through a sand storm there is no way to really explain them. I'm sure you've seen pictures of The Dust Bowl, well sometimes when the wind blows really hard it is still almost that bad, but usually only for a day or as in the case of Sunday, just a few hours. I went down on Friday and mom and I worked to about midnight cleaning the plant room (enclosed porch). They had this crazy cat that had been living out there and had totally almost destroyed the place. We moved everything to clean behind it and moved and rearranged all the plants. We started some of the minor decorations, but called it quites about midnight. Saturday I set my alarm so I would get up early to start again. My sister De came over and we started decorating in mom's bedroom and bathroom. We couldn't really decide on our theme, but once we got the creative juices flowing it turned out very nice. I had already decided what I was going to do in mom's bath as it has the light blue tile popular in the '60's so I said we were going to go with a frosty theme. It turned out beautiful. De had to leave so I then moved to daddy's room and put up a little tree and moved the carollers into the living room on the piano. I then started on daddy's bath. I wasn't happy with the way things were turning out, so I went back to the store to purchase more greenery and got a little tree for the corner. The singing Santa in the tub that Kevin picked out was definitely the hit of the day. While we were doing all that decorating, mom was still cleaning in the plant room. We stopped for dinner, but got right back to it as soon as we got home. The kids had glitter painted snowflakes for the tree. We were going with a natural theme and they were so happy to get to "help." They had asked at least 100 times what they could do. Then I went into the living room/dining room to start cleaning up as that was where we had dumped everything to sort it all out. Just as I had most of it packed up, mom asked me if I had any candles. So I started digging it out again. Seemed every time I almost got it packed up we would need something else. I finally decided to just leave it out until Sunday after lunch to be sure we were finished. Finally about midnight again, I was ready to stop, but kept finding little things that needed to be done. I think we finally went to be about 1:00 a.m. I again set my alarm and got right up to start again. We had waited to do the kitchen until after breakfast so we would dirty things up. Mom and I took the leaf out of the table and then she had to leave to go to church. Yes, I know, I was a heathen to stay home, but we were out of time, so I stayed home to clean the kitchen, sweep, mop and vacuum. Then I started decorating the kitchen table. I put the finishing touches on the wreath out front and then packed up all the boxes and moved them to the garage. Thank goodness we had a lot of help from Lavonna, De, the kids, daddy, momma, me and several of mom's friends brought things over to use. The house turned out lovely and now mom and dad can just sit back and enjoy the sights. Here are some of the pictures I took yesterday. It was fun, but I'm glad it's done.




Daddy's covered wagon.


A miniature living tree, sent by one of mom's friends.

The "frosty" bath. I just loved this room.

The kitchen table set for a tea party.



I loved this vignette. The Bible was my grandma's.




Daddy's miniature car collection.





Santa singing in the tub.






Mom's Christmas village.









No comments:

Post a Comment